Bethel, a rural community off Farm Road 227 two miles west of Tadmore in eastern Houston County, was established before 1900.
A local school had an enrollment of fifty-four in 1897. In the mid-1930s the community had a church, a store, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War IIqv many of the residents moved away, but in the mid-1960s a church, a cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses still remained in the area. In the early 1990s Bethel was a dispersed rural community.