Center Grove, a farming community on Farm Road 1309 four miles northeast of Lovelady in southern Houston County, was founded in 1925 as a combination of two earlier communities, Pine Grove and Center Hill.
In the mid-1930s the settlement comprised a school and a number of houses. In 1966 the community had a school and an estimated population of 300.
Many of its residents have since left. In the early 1990s a number of houses were still at the site.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Houston County Cemeteries (Crockett, Texas: Houston County Historical Commission, 1977; 3d ed. 1987). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687-1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).