Elkins was on State Highway 19 three miles north of Lovelady in southern Houston County. It developed around 1900 near a lignite coal mine operated by the Houston County Coal Company. The community was named for William Eli Elkins, superintendent of the mine.
At its height during the early 1900s the town had a store and a number of houses. In the early 1990s only a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687-1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
Eliza H. Bishop