Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

JAMES, TEXAS (Houston County).

James, on Farm Road 229 six miles northwest of Crockett in western Houston County, was established in the early 1880s.

A post office opened there in 1881, and by 1885 the settlement had steam grist and shingle mills, a general store, a cotton gin, a church, a district school, and an estimated population of 100. The post office closed in 1886, but in the mid-1930s the community still had a church, a school, and five businesses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.

Christopher Long

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/JJ/hrjld.html