Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

MAPLETON, TEXAS.

Mapleton, on State Highway 21 eighteen miles southwest of Crockett in southwestern Houston County, was established around 1924 by T. J. Maples and his family.

The community was originally named Stumpville after the large number of tree stumps that remained after the Maples family cleared the land. In the mid-1930s Stumpville had a church, several stores, and a large number of houses. In 1950 the Maples erected a sign naming the community Mapleton. In the early 1990s Mapleton was a dispersed rural community with several stores.

Christopher Long

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/MM/hrm11.html