MOUNT ZION, TEXAS
Mount Zion, a rural community off Farm Road 2544 six miles southwest of Grapeland in western Houston County, developed around a school established in the early 1890s.
In 1897 the two-teacher school had an enrollment of forty-five black students. By the mid-1930s the community had two churches, a school, and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few scattered houses remained in the area.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Houston County Cemeteries (Crockett, Texas: Houston County Historical Commission, 1977; 3d ed. 1987). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687-1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).