SHADY GROVE, TEXAS (Houston County).
Shady Grove, a farming community on U.S. Highway 287 ten miles southeast of Crockett in southeastern Houston County, was first settled in the 1850's. A post office operated there from 1855 to 1866, a Baptist church was established sometime before the mid-1860's, and the first church was rebuilt in 1896. In the mid-1930s Shady Grove included the church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, but by the mid-1960s the church, the cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses still remained. In the early 1990's Shady Grove was a dispersed rural community.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687-1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
Eliza H. Bishop