TEXAS (Houston County).
Stubblefield was a farming community four miles south of Kennard off Farm Road 2781 in southeastern Houston County.
It developed around a school established in the 1880s. Local resident Wyatt Stubblefield, after whom the settlement was named, later donated land so that the school could be moved to a better site. In 1897 the school had an enrollment of twenty-six.
By the mid-1930s only a few widely scattered houses and a cemetery remained in the area.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Houston County Cemeteries (Crockett, Texas: Houston County Historical Commission, 1977; 3d ed. 1987). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687-1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).