Tadmor (Tadmore) is on Farm Road 227 eighteen miles northeast of Crockett in northeastern Houston County. It was first settled in the 1830s and was named for the biblical Tadmor. A post office was established in 1885, and two schools, one black and one white, began operating there before 1900. By the mid-1890s Tadmor had two general stores, a cotton gin, and a reported population of twenty-five. Its post office closed in 1914, but the community continued to prosper in the 1920s. By the mid-1930s Tadmor had a church, two schools, several stores, and a number of houses. The schools were later closed, but in the mid-1960s a store, two churches, and a number of houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Tadmor was a dispersed rural community.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687-1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
Eliza H. Bishop