Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

SCHOOLS - HOUSTON CO., TX

SCHOOL RECORDS - Houston County - Scanned Ledger Pages

1906 & 1911

Ledgers of the Houston County School Superintendent's Office recording Schools and their Pupils

MARY ALLEN SEMINARY

During the 19th century, several institutions of higher were established in Texas for the education of the state's black population. Virtually all of them were founded by religious denominations, and Mary Allen Seminary was no exception. The Seminary was established in 1886 by the Board of Missions for Freedmen of the Presbyterian Church, which had its headquarters in Pittsburgh. Credit for attracting the interest of the Board must be given to the Reverend Samuel Fisher Tenney of the Presbyterian Church of Crockett. Rev. Tenney had personally contacted the Reverend Richard Allen, Secretary of the Board of Freedmen, who came to Crockett in 1880 with his wife Mary Esther Allen (white couple) to consider a location for the Seminary. Crockett was selected after Rev. Allen had surveyed the state, and the Board of Freedmen authorized the construction of the Seminary early in 1886, with classes beginning later in the year. The Board chose Dr. J.B. Smith as the first president of the Seminary. Before the Seminary opened, Rev. Allen's wife Mary died, and it was determined that the institution be named in her honor in recognition of her interest in its creation.

EARLY SCHOOLS in HOUSTON COUNTY

by: Armestead Albert Aldrich

These descriptions were published in the book, "The History of Houston County Texas" in 1943.

No authentic information can be found about the earliest school in Houston County. All schools taught in Houston County prior to and during the Civil War were private schools. No public school system had been established prior to the close of the Civil War.

 

CROCKETT SCHOOLS HISTORY- written 1943

Page #1      Page #2     Page #3    Page #4

Names:  L.E. Downes, Mrs. H.B. Dillingham, Gen. Thomas P. Collins, Mrs. Helen Nunn, Col. D.A. Nunn, Mrs. Nan Hail, Mrs. Belle Romain, Maj. John Spence, Hon. W.B. Page, Prof. G.J. Nunn, Walker King, E.A. Pace, C.E. Godbey, Donald McDonald, I.J. Deck, W.L. Jordan, Mrs. A.R. Spence, Mrs. Lucy Collins, Prof. J.W. Barrow, lena Woodson, Prof. E.W. Edmiston, Mrs. Allie Barrow, Mr. Edward A. Gause, Mrs. Mary E. McColl, Oscar Burnett, Dr. F.W. Archer, & Mrs. H.J. Phillips

 

OTHER SCHOOLS & MISC. DOCUMENTS

 

Liberty Hill School

1921

 

Source:

Texas Farm & Home

October 2010

 

COOPER SCHOOL

ENON SCHOOL

Click on Picture for a larger Image

FRANKLIN SCHOOL

1936 Grounds School Report Card:

Student - Charles Harrison

8th Grade - passed to 9th Grade

GEORGIA CAMP SCHOOL: across from Georgia Camp Baptist Church located off Hwy. 1280, Houston Co., TX.

HAGERVILLE SCHOOL

 

PERCILLA SCHOOL - 1899-1943

Pisgah School -

Photo by:  Jay D. Jackson, Jr.

Schoolhouse for the Pisgah Community now located inside the Temple Wildlife Management Area (North Boggy Slough)

San Pedro School - abt. 1919-1920

San Pedro School

San Pedro School
Photo Submitted by: Sandra Meier

Wesley Chapel School - c.1936

Post Oak School

Post Oak School-front view

Post Oak School - back view

Post Oak School-back view

Waneta School

Waneta School