Proud Member
Hunt County, Texas
TXGenWeb Project

1901 Deaths from the Commerce Journal

Horrible Death

Will Scott, nephew of Mrs. B.L. Murphy, met a met a horrible and tragic death Wednesday. He was employed in the Wolfe City Oil Mill. His clothing in some way became entangled in the bands, which dragged him into the machinery. His neck and chest were both broken and his body badly mangled. He never spoke or uttered a sound. He leaves a wife and children. The JOURNAL extends condolence.

The Commerce Journal-Feb. 1,1901

Death's Strange Caprice

Death performed a strange caprice at the home of A. M. Dove, who lives in Cooke County, near Collinsville.Two men who had been inseparable companions in youth and comrades through the civil war died within a few hours of each other in adjoining rooms while enjoying a visit which marked a separation of twenty years. The first to die was S. Morrison, 78 years of age, uncle to Mr. Dove. He expired in the night of the 16th of grip. At 12;30 on the morning of the 17th J. T. Broadwater, father in-law to Mr. Dove and brother in-law to Mr. Morrison, died also of the grip. Mr. Broadwater lived at Batesville, Ark. He came to Mr. Dove's home Christmas to visit Mr. Morrison, whom he had not seen in twenty years. They were buried together, and the minister who conducted the funeral ceremony stood between two coffins as he read the service.

The Commerce Journal-Feb. 1,1901

G. M. Brown died last Saturday evening of pneumonia. He leaves a family and a host of friends to mourn his untimely death.

The Commerce Journal-April 5,1901

Mrs. L. B. Thornton Dead.

Died, Tuesday morning, April 2, 1901, Mrs. L. B. Thornton

This was a very sad death in as much as Mrs. Thornton had been apparently as well as usual until the night before, When Mr. Thornton had been up with her giving her medicine. About 8 o'clock that morning he noticed that she was sleeping unusually soundly, went to her bed, and found he cold in death.

Mrs. Thornton was an exemplary wife and mother and the entire community sympathizes with Mr. Thornton and family in their sad and sudden bereavement

The Commerce Journal-April 5, 1901

Grandma Frey Gone.

Grandma Frey died Monday night at her home in East Commerce, at the ripe old age of 77 years.

Grandma Frey was born in Europe July 6, 1824 and came to this country while yet young. She lived in Illinois and Louisiana, coming from the latter state to Texas about 12 years ago. At one time she was a member of the Presbyterian church but for a number of years was a member of the Christian church, being a consistent and faithful member at her death.

She is the mother of John Frey, a substantial citizen of our community. She was buried at Senora graveyard Wednesday afternoon, Rev. E. B. Fincher conducting the funeral services. The JOURNAL extends sympathy to the bereaved relatives.

The Commerce Journal-April 19, 1901

Drank Wood Alcohol.

News was brought to the city from Neyland yesterday coming of the death of Mr. A. Orchard of that community. He had for some time past been very disconsolate and tired to drown his sorrows in drink. It seems that he had been in our city for several days but had returned home on Thursday.

Friday afternoon he went to a store at Neyland and made the remark that "he was mighty dry" and asked for some stimulant. He was told they had nothing but wood alcohol. He walked back and took one spoonful, diluted, then followed it up with several other doses, with the usual result. It is said that there had been some family troubles but no investigation or inquest of the body held by the authorities. Doubtless this drink was taken with suicidal intent, the deceased not being in his right mind at the time.

Greenville Herald.

The Commerce Journal-April 26, 1901

The Coal Oil Route

Mrs. Ed Baggett committed suicide last Friday evening. She poured coal oil over her clothing and put fire to it. She lingered until Saturday when she died in an unconscious state. She was Baggett's second wife, and her death resulted over her child. Her husband wanted to give the child away. Rev. J. W. Mead officiated at the burial Sunday evening at Oakland cemetery.

Paris Evening News
The Commerce Journal-June 14, 1901

In Memoriam "Theres nothing in this world that can stay;The rose must go within the year"

While not unexpected, a gloom was cast over the whole town Thursday afternoon, June 6, at 6 o'clock by the report of the death of Miss Sophia Norsworthy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. N. J. Norsworthy.

Miss Sophia had been a long time ill, had been confined to her bed for several months, but she bore up well under her sufferings and was always cheerful.

Miss Norsworthy was a young lady of worth, a true character and very popular among her associates, and wide circle of friends. She had for about three years been a Christian and member of the Baptist Church. She was cognizant that the end was approaching, but death had no terrors for her. She met it gladly, as a relief from her long suffering, and without fear, from a simple earnest faith. She was her father's joy, her mother's pride, her brother's comfort and solace, and her sister's fond companion. That their grief in parting from her is great no one can doubt. But they find consolation in the thought that with her "all is well", is equally certain. She had "washed her robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb". Her remains were interred in the city cemetery Friday afternoon, Rev. E. B. Fincher conducting a solemn and impressive funeral service at the house.

The bereaved family have the deep sympathy of many friends in their bereavement.

The Commerce Journal-June 14, 1901

"Uncle Greely" Harris Dead

The sad news of the death of W. H. Harris, familiarly known as "Uncle Greely" on Friday, June 5, at the home of Mrs. Harris's daughter in Greer County, reached here by letter Monday

Uncle Greely's health had been very poor all the spring and summer, and while his death was not unexpected, it came as something of a shock to the citizens of Commerce, for Mr. Harris was well known to everybody having come to Hunt County twenty-five years ago, and had figured largely in the history of Commerce, being at serval time constable of this precinct. His constituents, to a man, say that no better officer was ever elected by this people than was Uncle Greely. In the discharge of his duties he was no respector of persons, and knew no time save now. Mr. Harris lived single until he was about 50 years of age, when he married Mrs. Potter, who with their daughter, survive him. They lived together twenty-nine years until the reaper death came to claim him at 79 years of age-almost his four-score.

Uncle Greely's familiar figure will be seen no more upon the streets of Commerce, nor elsewhere among the haunts of men, for his body has been returned to the dust and his spirit went out to God who gave it.

The JOURNAL sympathizes with the bereaved in their loss.

The Commerce Journal-July 12, 1901

KILLED BY LIGHTING! Violent death of Mr.George W. Stewart.

Young Men Near Yowell Struck By Thunderbolt.

News reached this city yesterday from Yowell, in the northeastern part of the county, that a young man by the name of Geo. W. Stewart was killed by lighting during the rain and thunder storm that prevailed over the county. None of the particulars of the sad occurrence were obtainable, further than Mr. Stewart had been killed by lighting.

Deceased was the brother in-law of Mack Reavis of this city, the two having married sisters. Mack had an occasion to put in a 'phone call here for Stewart at Yowell, wishing to talk to him on a business matter, and was shocked when the operator there told him that Mr. Stewart had been killed by lighting. He arranged at once to leave with his family to attend the funeral, but missed the Midland afternoon train and went over to Commerce on the Cotton Belt at 1 o'clock this morning, expecting to reach by private conveyance.

Deceased was about 30 years of age and leaves a wife and four children. The family visited Mr. and Mrs. Reavis during the carnival and were happy and contended with their lot. Mr. Stewart stated that he was out of debt and was getting along nicely with splendid prospects for the future. But,alas! in the midst of life we are in death, and can not tell the day or hour, nor the circumstances under which the silent messengers shall require our souls. How often he rides upon the dread thunderbolt and the forked lighting, dealing death and destruction to the innocent and unsuspecting of earth.

The bereaved widow and children and other relatives will have the sympathy of friends and acquaintances on the sudden and violent end of the earthly career of a good citizen, kind friend, affectionate husband and father.

The Commerce Journal-August 9, 1901


Fell From His Train and was Mangled and Crushed. Found Beneath the Ash Pan. Funeral Services.

Conductor Clint Gaines met a horrible death Friday at 6 p.m. while in the discharge of his duties at Enloe. He was in charge of the work train and was backing his engine, water tank and caboose at a swift speed to get the convicts and to get ahead of another train when he discovered from his position in the caboose a horse on the track. He flagged the engineer and, as is told by brakeman George Beck who was in the cab of the caboose, started for the side door, reaching it just as the caboose struck the horse. Mr. Beck does not know wether he jumped or was thrown from the caboose by the jar. Whichever way it was, he fell under the wheels which passed over him, and when found he was beneath the ash pan. His face was considerably bruised, both his shoulder blades crushed, his neck broken, right side of his chest and both hips crushed, his left foot severed from the body about six inches above the ankle and the right foot gashed three times, once above and twice below the ankle, with the first and third finger of the right had crushed.

Word of the catastrophe reached his parents Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Gaines, here about 9 p.m. and his mother was prostrated by the shock and is still very much depressed. His brother, J. D. Gaines and Mr. T. M. Ferguson left at once for Enloe and brought the remains the next morning. The funeral services were conducted Sunday by the Rev. J. E. Roach, pastor of the Methodist church and the remains were interred at Scatter Branch, the family burying ground, at 3:30 p.m. under the ritualistic services of the O. R. C. of which Mr. Gaines was a member.

Mr. Gaines was a young man about 35 years of age, stood well with the T. M. R. R. for which he worked and met death at his post of duty. The bereaved family have had the sincerest sympathy of the entire town and vicinity in their terrible affliction. His live was insured in favor of his mother.

The wreck occasioned by striking the horse was the ditching of the caboose with the water tank thrown across the track with one truck up. Mr. Beck was considerably bruised and shaken up but nothing serious.

There have been ? conflicting reports as ? and the JOURNAL ? at some pains to ? the people properly, and gives the above details as authentic.

The Commerce Journal-August 9, 1901
*?-can't make out*

Mrs J. P. Goodman Gone Home

Just in the prime of life, just when her usefulness was at it zenith, just when her sun had reached its meridian, the grim reaper Death harvested the life of Mrs. Edna, the wife of Mr. J. P. Goodman.

Miss Edna Roberts was born Dec. 30, 1867, became a Christian at the age of 13, was married to J. P. Goodman, May 4, 1888 and died August 26, 1901, at the age of 34.

Mrs. Goodman's was a sweet Chrisitan character, who gained her greatest happiness in her home in doing what she could for God and humanity. She had been a sufferer for several years, but hers was a patient uncomplaining nature, who bore her afflictions in silence with a word of cheer and comfort for all. No murmur, no complaint ever escaped her lips. She was a self-sacrificing wife and mother, her family's welfare being placed always before her own.

She was an accommodating and kind neighbor and friend, true and faithful and loving in all the relations of life, and while kindred and friends miss and mourn her they believe she is "Asleep in Jesus" and that she is at home with her father.

Of immediate relatives she leaves a mother, three brothers, a husband and four children.

The JOURNAL offers condolence and sympathy to the stricken family.

The Commerce Journal August 30, 1901

Resolutions of Respect

Whereas God, in his mysterious providence, has taken from our midst our dear brother, R. E. England.

Resolved, that in the death of our dear brother, R. E. England, our community has lost a good citizen, the M. E. Church South a faithful member; the wife, a loving husband; and the children a kind father.

That we greatly deplore our loss, and in humble submission we bow to our Heavenly Father's will and trust his grace to bring us safely home.

That a special prayer be offered for the bereaved family and for the church, that this sad providence will bind us as a church more closely, and inspire our hearts to attain a higher life.

That we extend our heartfelt sympathy to his bereaved wife and little ones, with a prayer that they put their trust in him who doeth all things well, in whom there is no variableness, nor shadow of turning, and

That a copy the resolutions be furnished the Commerce Journal for publication, and that they be spread upon the minutes of the Quartley Conference of which our brother was a member, and

That a copy be furnished the bereaved family.

W. E. Musgrove,
J. W. Manning,
M. A. Smith,

The Commerce Journal-October 11, 1901

Miss Cate Arvin was in Greenville Wednesday to attend the funeral services of her aunt, Mrs. Mary Powell. Only two months ago Miss Arvin's sister died, and yet again the death angel has knocked.

The JOURNAL extends sympathy.

The Commerce Journal-November 8, 1901

The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Johns died Monday morning at 9 o'clock after a few days illness. Herman Michael was only 2 years old, but was the light of the household. Impressive funeral services were held at the Catholic church Tuesday (can't make out rest)

The Commerce Journal-November 8, 1901

T. H. Bird received a message Wednesday conveying the sad intelligence of the death of his sister at Smithville.

The Commerce Journal-November 29, 1901

Extracted from the Commerce Journal and submitted by Cynthia Vorhis

Used with permission

Copyright 2005-2008 TXGenWeb

Back to Hunt County