Proud Member
Hunt County, Texas
TXGenWeb Project

1901 Deaths from the Commerce Journal

Word has reached here of the death of Mrs. Kerr, an erstwhile resident of Commerce, at her home in Clinton, Ind. Mrs. Kerr had many friends here who regret who taking away. She was an intelligent woman who strove to make the world brighter for her presence. Numerous friends in Commerce console with her husband Mr. Kerr, and her daughter, Miss Maud in this dark hour of sore affliction.

The Commerce Journal-February 14, 1902

The Greenville Herald says at Wolfe City last Friday night there was a gathering of negroes where beer and bad blood flowed quite freely and ended in the fatal shooting of Bill Harper by Nannie Moody. It is stated there was a general mixup of coons and during the confusion Bill Harper was offended at something the woman said and struck her. She quickly drew a 33-caliber pistol and fired at Harper, the ball entering about the pit of the stomach and producing death a few hours later.

The Commerce Journal-February 21, 1902


Dr. F. M. Faught Drops Dead at Whiteworth While Singing a Solo. Buried at Denton.

Commerce was shocked Monday morning by the intelligence of the sudden and untimely taking away of Dr. F. M. Faught of the Bluff city drugstore.

Dr. Faught had gone to Whiteworth to visit his daughter, Miss Nellie, who is in Grayson college there.

Monday morning he was called upon to conduct chapel exercise and was concluding them with a solo-one of his favorites, Calvary. He had nearly finished the first stanza when he sank to his knees, then dropped forward and when he was reached was found to be dead.

The physician said apoplexy was the cause of his death.

His remains were taken to Denton and interred there Tuesday by the side of his wife.

Dr. Faught had lived in Commerce about three and one-half years and had numerous friends here. He was a devoted member of the Methodist church, and had been heard to remark that he preferred to die signing.

His daughter, Miss Nellie, has the sincerest sympathy of a large number of friends here in her sad and unexpected bereavement.

J. W. Eaught, and wife attended the obsequies.

The JOURNAL condoles with the bereaved relatives.

The Commerce Journal-March 28, 1902

Mrs. R. C. Welch was called to Denison Friday night on account of the death of her sister, Mrs. Josie Bain, who was taken away suddenly by heart failure.

The Commerce Journal-April 4, 1902

Mr. Arvin Passes Away In His Sixty-Fourth Year.

At 1 o'clock the morning Mr. Arvin died at his home on South Roberts street after a brief illness with pneumonia. It had been known that he was quite sick, but outside of the family and his near neighbors little apprehensions were felt, and the news of his death came as a surprise to many.

Five children survive him, Dr. H. T. Arvin and Misses Ellie, Cate, Minnie and Belle, all of whom are well known and highly esteemed. His wife died several years ago. Mr. Arvin was a true Christian gentleman, quiet and unassuming, but genial and kind.

He belonged to the Christian church and was one of its most devoted members. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity but had not affiliated with the lodge here.

The funeral will take place at the family residence at 5 o'clock this afternoon. Services will be conducted by Rev. C. M. Schoonover. Interment at the city cemetery. Greenville Banner.

Deceased was the father of Miss Cate Arvin one of our esteemed public school teachers, who has the sympathy of the entire town in her trouble.

The Commerce Journal-April 4, 1902

E. W. Briscoe Dead

Useful citizen and faithful official called home.

The announcement of the death of Mr. E. W. Briscoe, county clerk of Hunt county, and one of the very best men that the state of Texas ever produced, will be read with pain and regret, not only in Greenville but throughout Hunt county. He passed away at 7:30 last night, after an illness of eleven days duration, having taken sick on Saturday, April 5th, with grip, which developed into pneumonia.

E. W. Briscoe was born near Ladonia on September 19, 1849, and was reared in Hunt county. In the 70s he was married to Miss Mattox, sister to Mrs. T. A. Smith, John Mattox and others of that well known family. She died in a few years, and some years later he was married to Miss Dyer who survives him. Greenville Herald.

The Commerce Journal-April 18, 1902

Dailey Kinkaid Dead

J. S. Kinkaid received a telegram from his brother Lindsay, who is at Chandler, notifying him that his brother, Dailey Kinkaid and that the body would arrive here Saturday morning at 5:30 o'clock. No particulars , and it is not known how he died.

Dailey Kinkaid left South McAlester about one year ago to assist his brother in their work as railroad contractors. For some time they had been busy with a contract for the Choctaw at Chandler.

The deceased was a member of I.O.O.F. and Jr. A. O. U. M. Fraternities. He leaves a wife. The funeral will occur Saturday afternoon.-South McAlester Capital.

The JOURNAL learns from a personal friend of the deceased here that he came to his death by the explosion of a can of powder.
The Commerce Journal-July 25, 1902

Death of J. R. Melroy

Mr. J. R. Melroy died Friday at his home in Sherman, having been in feeble health for several months. The family, with his remains, accompanied by Engineer Langridge, passed thro' Commerce Sunday for Philliphsburg, N. J., where the body will be interred in the family burying ground.

Mr. Melroy, at the time of his death, was engineer on Sherman passenger train, and was formerly a citizen of this place and had many friends who will regret that he has been called from us.

Rev. R. B. Moreland was called last week to Cooper by the death of his mother. He and the other members of the family will have the sympathy of the community in their affliction.

-Mrs. Mason

The Commerce Journal-July 27, 1902

Mrs. Nora Jackson of Luealla came down Wednesday to be with her sister, Mrs. C. A. Dozier. She reached her only a few minutes before her death.
The Commerce Journal-August 22, 1902

The four-year-old son of Monore Burge, living four miles south of Ladonia, was scalded to death last Friday while falling into a wash pot while its mother was washing.

The Commerce Journal-August 22, 1902

Was Kicked To Death Ladonia Tex., Aug. 26-E. C. Burrell, living three miles east of this place, while crossing a ditch on a load of wood, fell behind his team and was instantly kicked to death. He was an ex-Confederate. family.

The Commerce Journal-August 29, 1902

We fell sad to note the death of Mrs. Barnes in the Sand Lapper's article for she was an old school mate of ours. She was so very good, none knew her but to love her.

The Commerce Journal-August 29, 1902

Little Douglas Mayo Dead

There was profound sorrow Tuesday morning when the death of Little Douglas, daughter of Prof. and Mrs. W. L. Mayo, was announced, and commingled with its tender sympathy with the parents in their affliction.

She has suffered extremely for about three weeks with typhoid fever and at last the little body succumbed to the ravages of the disease and freed the pure spirit which wafted its way to the bosom of Him who said "Suffer little children to come to me."

She had sported with the flowers of seven summers, and then was called to the land of eternal springtime.

She was regarded by all as an exceptionally bright, talented and loveable little child, and while for a time it is a cruel loss to the family, it is but another tie to bind them to heaven.

Funeral services were held at 3:30 p.m. at the College chapel, Revs. Hicks, Fincher, Gough and Prof. Clark all taking part. The remains were interred in the city cemetery and were followed to their resting place by a large concourse of friends.

The Commerce Journal-August 29, 1902

A Sad Accident

A terrible accident occurred Saturday morning at the Greenville oil mill by which Mr. J. A. Gentry, night watchman at the oil mill, had his foot and leg ground to pieces as far up as the knee, while the muscles above the knee wore torn in shreds, resulting a few hours later in his death.

Mr. Gentry was about 63 years of age and had been an invalid for several years, suffering from an attack of asthma. He leaves a wife and two boys, age 10 and 12 and a large number of friends who mourn his death.

The Commerce Journal-September 26, 1902

The little son of Mr. and Mrs.Rufus Laird died on the 18th. Dr. Fry of Lester and Dr. Relyea of Ladonia, were almost in constant attence and kind friends did all in their power for the little sufferer, but he has gone where there will be no more pain or sorrow. The remains were interred in the Ladonia cemetery. O, what memories cluster round that little grave; what blighted hopes, what cherished joys are hidden there. Cares, fears, anxious forebodings have found their end and been laid to rest in the quiet of that little grave!

The Commerce Journal-October 3, 1902

On the 25th inst the death angel visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. Amos Brewer and took their little daughter Edith. She had been ill since the 15th of July. The remains were interred in Hope cemetery. Mr. Charlie Brewer and family, of Hale, Fannin county, attended the funeral.

The Commerce Journal-October 3, 1902

Negro Killed Near Lester.

Esq. Manning was notified Wednesday morning by phone that a negro had been killed on R. B. Laird's farm near Lester.

He went out in company with Deputy Sheriff Langford, and upon investigation, had one Hays Husley (colored), arrested and jailed to await the action of the grand jury.

The testimony of three witnesses showed that Coleman, deceased, was picking cotton for Husley who is making a crop on Laird's farm. Husley told Coleman to go to work, Coleman refusing, stating there was too much dew, whereupon Husley said he would make him go and stepped into the adjoining room and got his shotgun. They met at the partition door, Husley fired the gun which was loaded with birdshot, the entire contents taking effect in Coleman's stomach, from which he died an hour afterward. Husley claimed the death was accidental, however. The coroner rendered the following verdict: " I J. W. Manning, a justice of the peace in and for Hunt County, Texas, being informed of the untimely death of Sam Coleman, colored, viewed the body and took the testimony of three witnesses, and do render this as my finding under their testimony, to wit: Sam Coleman, colored, deceased, came to his death about 7 o'clock a.m. on the farm of R. B. Laird by a wound from a shotgun fired by Hays Husley.

The Commerce Journal-October 24, 1902

Killed in a Runaway

The Ladonia news gives the following particulars of the death of J. W. Kincaid, mention of which was made in last week' Journal:

"About noon Tuesday, while hauling a load of house blocks out to Will Cobb's place, a four mule team drived by J. W. Kincaid was scared by a passing double header just south of A. Gough's, became unmanageable and ran away, throwing him under the wheels of the wagon. The wheels passed across the right side of his chest, right shoulder and head, crushing him into the earth.

It was thought at first that he would die immediately. He was carried to the residence of Mr. Gough, were he received medical aid and rallied so readily that hopes were entertained for his recovery. Wednesday afternoon it was seen that he was fast weakening, and about 8:30 o'clock he died.

The interment took place at the Odd Fellows Cemetery at 3 o'clock Thursday afternoon. A joint funeral ceremony was held by the Eastern Star and Masonic fraternities in the presence of a large crowd of friends and relatives.

Deceased was a good citizen and his loss is sincerely mourned by all who knew him. He leaves a wife and several little children, to whom we extend our most heartfelt sympathy.

The Commerce Journal-November 14, 1902

In Memoriam

Following is an extract from a lengthy obituary of Miss Fannie Day, sister of Prof. A. L. Day, superintendent of our public schools, taken from her home paper the Madisonville Meteor. Prof. Day has the deep sympathy of his numerous friends here in his bereavement:

But a few short weeks ago, during the month of August, Miss Fannie who is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Day of this city, left us to visit her sister, Mrs. Bertha Lindsey, at Madill, I. T. There she was stricken with typhoid fever, and later paralysis developed, when all hope of saving her was abandoned. She had the best of loving care and attention and medical skill, but at 8 o'clock in the evening, November 7th, her spirit passed away. Her mother and her brother, Mr. James Day were at her bedside when the end came. The body was properly embalmed and shipped to Bryan and reached Madisonville late Sunday evening, which was carried to the home which she left not long ago before a happy, promising girl. Here many friends brought lovely wreaths and looked for the last time on her dear face, so sweet, so fair, so natural in death. On Monday morning at 10 o'clock the funeral was held, conducted by Elder J. D. Markett, and attended by hundreds of people. The school suspended and pupils formed in procession and followed the body to its last resting place. Misses Mae Viser, Bettie Middleton, Carrie Bartee, Corrie Hibbitts, Lillian Connor and Margie Gibbs acted as pallbearers.

Deceased was a pure, noble, Christian girl, fair as a lily and of saintly character. Her friends were legion, and "None knew her but to love her, None knew her but to praise her."

The Commerce Journal-November 28, 1902

Extracted from the Commerce Journal and submitted by Cynthia Vorhis

Used with permission

Copyright 2005-2008 TXGenWeb

Back to Hunt County