George W. Wilkins was a native of Georgia. George and his family lived in Hunt County, Texas until their move to Stephenville, Erath County, Texas in 1858 to get more land so his children would have the same opportunity that he had.
During the Civil War George served short stretches in the Texas Rangers and in the local Guard. He also bought cattle for the Confederate Army and drove them east to Marshall to deliver to the Quartermaster Corps. The Indians were still quite a problem then so George moved the family back to Commerce, Hunt County, Texas in 1865.
He married Melvina Jackson, daughter of Elijah and Olivia (Hart) Jackson. She was born October 1830 in Polk County, Arkansas and died 1 June 1909 in Hunt County, Texas.
His life long occupation was farming. Both he and Melvina were members of the Primitive Baptist Church. He was the father of nine children Olive, David, James, Mary, Sarah, Elijah, Baby deceased, Louisa, and George.
George and Melvina are buried in the Engram - Hart Cemetery in Delta County, Texas.