Aberfoyle is on Farm Road 512 fifteen miles northeast of Greenville in northeastern Hunt County. The settlement was begun soon after the Civil War and received a post office in 1884. By 1900 it had 100 residents, a cotton gin, and a general store. The post office ceased operation in 1904, and the mail was routed through Wolfe City. Aberfoyle's population was 100 in 1933, fell to twenty-five in 1945, and was reported as twenty-five from 1976 to 1989. Businesses declined from four in 1933 to none in the 1980s. In 2000 the population was thirty-five.
Brian Hart, "ABERFOYLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hna01), accessed July 14, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.