Located on Farm Road 1567 fifteen miles southeast of Greenville in extreme southeastern Hunt County, Donelton was probably established within ten years after the end of the Civil War, as a post office opened there in 1871. By 1885 the community had a gristmill and a cotton gin. Five years later it had a population of seventy-five, a school, and a church. The community reported no population or business statistics after 1900. Around 1970 a church still stood at Donelton.
Brian Hart, "DONELTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd30), accessed June 15, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.