Lane is on Farm Road 1562 five miles west of
Celeste in the northwestern corner of Hunt County. The construction
of a gristmill by B. F. Pierce in 1860 attracted settlers, among whom
was R. W. Lane, a pioneer rancher. By the 1870s, after it gained a
cotton gin, the settlement became a ginning center for area farmers.
In 1879 a post office opened at the community. With the addition of
a church and a school, Lane became a community center for the
cotton farmers of northwestern Hunt County. By 1895 its population
was estimated at a peak of eighty. Lane was bypassed by the
railroads in the late 1880s and 1890s and lost its post office in 1904.
From the 1930s through the 1960s Lane reported a population of
twenty-five. The 1984 county highway map showed only a cemetery
Copyright 2004-2012 TXGenWeb