The White Rock Churches and Community Historical Marker Dedication was held Sunday, May 15, 1988, with a covered dish luncheon at noon in the Community Center with 140 registered guests.
Robert Holloway welcomed everyone. The Rev. A. D. Manion, along with thirteen charter members, organized a congregation know as Pleasant View Baptist Church in 1872. The Unveiling of the Baptist Marker was Vernon Green with Hunt County Historical Commission Past Chair Fred Tarpley present.
The Methodist congregation was formerly organized on November 25, 1880, by the Rev. J. T. Stanley and eleven members. The Unveiling of the Methodist Marker was Marie Woodard with Historical Commission Chairman Jim Conrad present.
The White Rock Community originally named Tidwell Creek was a settlement begun as a stop on the Sherman - Jefferson trail. The first settlers were members of the Jonas Havens family. A post office was established in 1857. Businesses in town included stores, saloons, a blacksmith shop, a mill, and a gin. A school was in operation until the 1940's. Early traveling preachers served the religious needs of the community until two churches were organized.
Everyone enjoyed a day of friends from the past and getting to know friends of the present. The food was wonder and delicious; the fellowship was great.
Pictured above, left to right, are Vernon Green, the Rev. R. E. Shaw, Ruth St. Clair, Robert St. Clair, and Margie Glover, President of the Community Center.
(May 19, 1988, The Wolfe City Mirror)
Submitted by Sarah Swindell
Back to History in News Articles
Back to Hunt County