in a Pecan Shell
The county was named after James Stephen Hogg, the Governor of
Texas. Like Jim Wells County, the familiar Jim in lieu of James
reflects the less formal attitude of Texas south of San Antonio.
We are thankful it's not Jimmy Hogg.
The town dates from 1883 when the Texas Mexican Railroad
built through the area. Francisco Pena was the stationmaster at
the stop known as Pena. He refused to sell a right-of-way to the
railroad, so they loaded the station onto a flatcar and moved it
to land owned by rancher James Hebbron.
Hebbronville became the county seat with a unanimous vote of
176. Mr. Pena's reaction was not mentioned in our source.
A large hotel built by Viggo Kohler opened in 1915. It stands
today but is used for county offices and the EMS. The population
in 1915 was 400 persons.
During the 20s and 30s - the Mexican government had severe
anti-Catholic laws and in search of sanctuary, a Franciscan
Seminary moved to Hebbronville. It remains the most
impressive edifice in Hebbronville, even including the
courthouse. It is still owned by the Archdiocese of