HOME



History of the J. W. Fannin DRT Chapter, Victoria, Texas
Click on picture to see larger size.   Photos  property of Billye D. Jackson  Please contact for permission to use (except Henry Wolff, Jr. Victoria Advocate photo of Indianola Cemetery, used by permission)













Some of the many projects Fannin Chapter has dedicated time, energy and finances to included the Memorial Square, Fannin Battleground, De Leon Plaza, LaSalle Monument, old town site of Indianola, the fencing of Indianola cemeteries, marking graves of Veteran  Citizens of the Republic, flags to schools, school programs, essay contests, and sponsored a local CRT chapter from 1974 until it was disbanded in 1997.

The Fannin Chapter at Victoria was Number 14, in order, and was organized in April 1904, and named for the martyred Commander at Goliad.  The first officers were President, Mrs. Nellie B. Wood; First Vice-President, Miss Clara Fox; Second Vice-President, Mrs. J. D. Mitchell; Recording Secretary, Mrs. M. Wheeler; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. Helen Mitchell; Historian, Mrs. Mary Welder; Treasurer, Mrs. J. J. Hallinan.  ["Fifty Years of Achievement", page 70.]

Other names on the charter include Mrs. W. C. Carroll, Miss Annie Cook Austin, Mrs. J. P. Pool, Mrs. F. R. Pridham, Mrs. J. F. Welder, Mrs. Han Fleming, Miss Lina Welder, Mrs. Sal Halfin, Mrs. Nellie B. Wood, Mrs. M. Wheeler, Mrs. J. D. Mitchell, Miss Helen Mitchell, Mrs. Peter Mahon, Miss Clara Fox, Mrs. J. J. Hallinan, Miss Cora Zumwalt, Miss J. White, Mrs. Mary Welder, Members listed are Mrs. Elizabeth Owens, Mrs. Catherine Allen, Miss Margaret Linn, Miss Annie Lee Linn, Mrs. Josephine Linn, Miss Gussie Linn, and Mrs. M. Oppenheimer.

Under the leadership of the first chapter president, Mrs. Nellie B. Wood, the chapter established it's two primary goals.  The beautifying of the old city cemetery Memorial Square, long time abandoned,  and in which lie some of the pioneers of early Texas days; and the ultimate purchase of Fannin Battlegrounds.

The first annual president's report states that the chapter gave $60.00 toward the Memorial Square project and declared that, "With the zeal of an enthusiastic membership up and doing, we are looking forward to greater things and whatever we undertake as loyal Daughters of the Republic, there is no such word as fail."  In 1917, the chapter raised funds toward the Sam Houston Monument that today stands watch at the entrance to Herman  Park in Houston.  After twenty years, participation dwindled and the chapter fell into inactivity, but not disbands.

On April 9, 1942, Mrs. Ben T. Jordan re-organized the Fannin Chapter with Mrs. James F. Welder, treasurer.  Once again the chapter became a driving force in historical, education, and patriotic participation and preservation.

In 1959, Mrs. Genevieve Powers Stevenson deeded her family home located at 307 S. William to the local DRT, UDC and DAR chapters.  The Fannin Chapter meets in their Texas Room for seven regular yearly meetings in observation of Texas Honor days.  [Contributed by Zia Miller.]

Mrs. Hugh B. Lowery (Margaret Virginia Crain) was elected to the office of President General, Daughters of the Republic and served with distinction from 1975-1977.  Other officers general from the chapter have been Mrs. Jordan, Mrs. Wearden, Mrs. Rubin S. Frels, Mrs. B. D. Reynolds, Jr., Mrs. William S. Fly, Mrs. Livingston.  Miss Catherine McDowell served many hears as the DRT Librarian in San Antonio. Mrs. Jordan, Mrs. Loyd Livingston and Mrs. Jack O. Miller, Jr. have served terms on Alamo Committee. Mrs. Gordon Richardson has served on the Cradle committee.
 

Our city and surrounding area has a great amount of early Texas history.  These photos are from our chapter area.
 

The Precious Legacy, Compiled DRT Records, published 1994 
Dates and information are from the Annual Proceedings:

Our chapter, taking part in the Veterans Day Parade in Victoria

All photos by Billye Jackson

1948 James W. Fannin Chapter, Victoria, dedicated a granite marker to the gallant soldiers of the Texas Revolution and to the pioneer citizens of Victoria.
1953 (2007 photo)
James W. Fannin Chapter, Victoria, placed substantial fences around the two cemeteries in Indianola to preserve the resting-places of old pioneers.

2007 Photo used by Permmisson.
See full article-Henry Wolff Column, Victoria Advocate

1981

James W. Fannin Chapter, Victoria, proved in court that in which lie some of the pioneers of early Texas.  The court ruled that it should remain  forever.  (90 Years of the Daughters 1981, DRT, page 154.)


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Victoria, Cradle of the American Cattle Industry!
 














 

Website Administrator
Billye D. Jackson
James Walker Fannin Chapter
Copyright 2001-2013

Updated 31 Oct 2012