I have information from the death certicate of my Great-grandfather, with verification from Anderson-Clayton Funeral Homes that he was buried on August 29, 1935 at Wilson Chapel. His name was William Marion Couch b: 8-23-1854 Georgia, d: August 28, 1935 near Elmo, Kaufman County, Texas.
Submitted by Michael Miller
During the 1880's the WILLIAMS & KNOWLES family migrated to Kaufman Co., TX from Madison Co., MO.
Christian Eli Williams b. 5 Nov 1843 @ Higdon, Madison Co., MO. He is the son of Rev. John O. Williams & Martha Patsy Skaggs. He married in Bollinger Co., MO on 28 Nov 1867 to Mary Frances Knowles, daughter of Hiram Knowles & Mary Gibbes. (They too came to Kaufman Co., TX.) Christian died 20 Mar 1907 and is buried at the Wilsons Chapel Cemetery. His Spouse:
Mary Frances Knowles b. 21 Feb 1841 in TN daughter of Hiram Knowles&Mary E Gibbs. She married Christian Eli Williams in Madison Co., MO. She died 20 Apr 1928 in Kaufman, Co., TX and is buried in the Wilson's Chapel Cemetery.
They had 4 children (All four children were born in Madison Co., Mo. near Higdon):
- James Burr Williams b. 11 Feb 1868 in Mad. Co., MO. d. 21 Feb 1933 Kaufman Co., TX md: Ella Bertie Ann??
- George Conrad Williams b. 18 Apr 1870 in Mad. Co., MO. d. 6 Nov 1943 in Ft. Worth TX. Md: Lillian Aurelia Smith on 15 Jan 1896 in Kaufman Co., TX.
- Teresa Eva Williams b. 23 Feb 1874 in Mad. Co., MO. d. 1952 in Kaufman Co., TX. md: Robert Harris
- Martha R. "Mattie" Williams b. 23 Feb 1874 in Mad. Co., MO. d. 6 Jun 1926 in Kaufman Co.,TX Md: 23 Dec 1894 to R.H. Hurley
Teresa, Martha & James are all buried at Wilsons Chapel Cemetery.
Christian & Mary Frances, had siblings: Sarah Jane Williams & William Burr Knowles. They also married. Both Sarah Jane&Christian Eli were born in Madison Co., MO. near the town of Higdon. They married siblings & came to Kaufman Co., TX. when the Knowles family left Madison/Bollinger Co.'s Also came: Micajah (brother to Wm Burr & Mary F) Their parents: Hiram Knowles & Mary E. Gibbes. My records show that both Hiram & Mary died and are buried in Kaufman Co., TX. Possibly at Wilson's Chapel.
Knowles Hiram- 28 Jan 1807-24 Mar 1879
Knowles Mary E.- 20 Feb 1817-20 Mar 1891.
William Burr Knowles b. 24 Oct 1847 in White Co. TN. son of Hiram Knowles & Mary E. Gibbs. d. 19 Nov. 1926 in Kaufman Co., TX.
md: Sarah Jane Williams daughter of Rev. John O. Williams & Martha (Patsy) Skaggs on 29 Feb 1872 in Madison Co., MO.
Sarah Jane Williams b. 30 Oct 1849 at Higdon, Madison Co., MO daughter of Rev John O Williams & Martha Skaggs.
d. 26 Aug 1908 in Kaufman Co., TX. She is buried at Wilson Chapel Cem.
Their Children are:
- Othelia Knowles b. 1873 md Mr Averitt
- Albert Knowles b. 18 Mar 1876 Kaufman Co.,TX. d. 2 Apr 1953 Kaufman Co,TX md: Lois Averitt 3 Dec 1889
- Enoch O. Knowles md: Maggie Kelley 21 Aug 1901 in Kaufman Co.,TX
- Gilbert E. Knowles b. Mar 1880 d. ? md: Lennie Jennings 26 Oct 1902
- John Rosser Knowles b. 13 Dec 1882 Kaufman Co.,TX. d. 15 Dec 1953 at Ft Worth Tx.. md: Sally Myrtle Birdsong on 18 Dec 1908
- William Mode Knowles b. Jan 1887 Became a Dr.
- Roy Lee Knowles b. 19 Aug 1892 d. 6 Nov 1896
- Mary Irene Knowles b. 12 Jan 1889 d. 4 Dec 1896
My sources are:
Madison Co., MO. Census 1850-1900 Fed. , 1876 State Mo.
Census, Madison Co., Marriage records of Madison & Bollinger Co.'s in MO.
Kaufman Co., TX. Cemetery Records for Wilsons Chapel, Kaufman Co., TX
History (Article on the John Rosser Knowles Family).
ALSO BURIED IN KAUFMAN CO. :
Knowles, Hiram 28 Jan 1807 @Virginia - 24 March 1879 MD: Mary E Gibbs on 28 Nov 1838 in White Co., TN.
Knowles, Mary E. 20 Fen 1817 @TN. - 20 March 1891 nee Gibbs W/O Hiram.
These dates come from the Knowles family, but no one is absolutely 100% sure where these two are buried at. There are supposed to be some unmarked graves about 5 of them in the Williams plot. Could this be them?