|If you have access to a source with information on Kaufman County
and would like to volunteer to do look-ups, please contact the Coordinator.
Warning! Do not send a look-up request if you are using an auto-reply to your e-mail that requires the sender to fill out a form. Use an e-mail address that can be replied to or you will not receive the response from the volunteer.
Other places to look for Look-ups
For obituary look-ups, please see the
Look-ups offered by the Kaufman County Library and
Obituary Look-ups Site Don't forget to also volunteer for the area you live in!
Instructions for Requesting a Look-up
In order to be sure your request gets answered, please follow these instructions.
- Click on the look-up volunteer's name to request a look-up in the source they have volunteered for. Please do NOT ask the look-up volunteer to do a look-up in a source they have not volunteered for. This includes do not ask the volunteer to go to the library to do your research for you and do not send your look-up request to the coordinator (she does not have copies of the records and cannot answer the requests).
- Put "Kaufman Co. Look-up" in the subject line of the message.
- On the first line of the message, put the title of the source you are requesting the look-up in. Ask only for a look-up in one (1) specific source (EACH marriage book and EACH cemetery are a separate source; asking for a look-up in "all of the cemeteries" or "all of the marriage records" is NOT acceptable). Remember you must specify which particular source you would like the look-up in.
- Ask only for a look-up for 1 or 2 people (not for all of the people with a specific surname).
- Do NOT ask the look-up volunteer to send photocopies of pages from the book nor for a large amount of information from the book.
- Please do not ask more than one volunteer to do the same look-up for you at the same time.
- Do not submit more than one request at a time (wait for the response from one request before submitting another). Wait for several days before resubmitting the same request; the volunteer may be unable to answer your request immediately. Do not assume your request was lost until you have waited 2 weeks for a reply.
- Please remember that the volunteers have graciously offered to do these look-ups. They are not paid or otherwise obligated to volunteer to do look-ups so please do not take them for granted and remember to let them know you appreciate their help.
Click on the look-up volunteer's name to request a look-up.
Instructions for Requesting a Look-up
If you would like to ask for a look-up in the cemeteries listed in the table, below, please be considerate when asking the volunteer. Remember you
must specify which cemetery you would like the look-up in
and only ask the volunteer to look up information in the cemetery they
have volunteered for. There is no county-wide index so a request for a look-up of a person in all of the cemeteries in Kaufman County canNOT be answered.
Jo Anne Pruitt
Return to the Instructions
for Requesting a Look-up
(For look-ups in other cemeteries, please see Look-ups
offered by the Kaufman County Library.)
|LOOK-UPS IN OTHER SOURCES
"No Land . . . Only Slaves! Vol. 4: Harrison, Hunt & Kaufman Co., TX"
Our books are especially helpful for black history research. These volumes of abstracted deed records include two complete
indexes, one of every slave named and another for all other persons mentioned in
the transaction, such as buyer, seller, witnesses, judges, notaries, etc. If you would like to know more about them you can check our website at
http://slaves.8m.com (please note the "dot" between slaves & 8m)
Vivian Lehman & Edith Smith
|The Men and Women in World War II from Kaufman County
Doris Pyle Haynes
Return to the Instructions for Requesting a Look-up
|(Note from Lissa Johnston: Four-Mile is supposedly in Van
Zandt Co. but often listed in Prairieville, which is in Kaufman Co.)
TXGenWeb Project's Official Policy on Look-ups
TXGenWeb will not tolerate any copyright violations.
Look-up requests should be limited to one name, or perhaps two if it is
a married couple. Information given will be minimal, for example
if it is a cemetery look-up, the information will be the name of
the cemetery and the dates on the headstone. Please do not ask for
"everybody with X surname" or an entire family group, or for hardcopies
to be mailed; the volunteers have been asked not to comply with such requests.
Our look-ups will extend to searching the book to determine if the
book would be helpful to you in your research. Should the book prove
useful, we can provide the authors address and ordering information.