Ludwig Börne (1786-1837) was the inspiration for young German students and educated noblemen to migrate to Texas and freedom in the 1840s. The town of Boerne was named after this scholar.
The Boerne Area Historical and Preservation Society commissioned Sculptor, Jonas Perkins to design and sculpt theis bronze monument to honor Ludwig Börne. The organization presented it to the City of Boerne in 1995.
The statue of Professor Börne was placed on the parkway of the Dienger Building which housed the Boerne Public Library for about twenty years. Mr. Börne sat, book in hand, to remind us of the learned background of the early settlers. After the Boerne Public Library moved into its new facility, now known as the Patrick Heath Public Library, the statue of Mr. Börne remained in the same spot near the Dienger Building for a time, but has now found a new home in front of the Convention and Visitor's Bureau, at 1407 South Main in the Historic Kingsbury-Shumard House.
Back to Kendall Main Page