Search billions of records on


This community was settled in 1850 when Judge William E. Jones established a saw mill along the creek. For a while this was a flourishing community. In 1847 Judge Samuel B. Patton moved here with his family. The area was in Blanco County at that time. He became the first County Judge in the new Kendall County in 1858

The Lawhon brothers, Jesse and John, came to Curry Creek with Judge Jones. In 1855 Jesse was killed by the Indians.

Jesse Lindsey McCrocklin came to Curry Creek with his wife, Isabelle, from Kentucky. He was granted land for his military service in the Battle of San Jacinto and the Somerville Expedition.

The Texas Ranger, Captain John W. Sansom, lived here. George Wilkins Kendall, the famous journalist from New Orleans, lived here. Kendall County was named after him. Dr. James Crispin Nowlin came here with his slaves who built a large house for him. Also Parson Daniel Rawls of "Austins 300" brought fifty slaves here and settled on a creek which bears his name. He built the first cotton gin in the county and organized the Methodist Church in Blanco.

Source: Kendall County Historical Commission, A History of Kendall County Texas: Rivers, Ranches, Railroads, Recreation, Dallas, Tx., Taylor Publishing Co., 1984.

Return to Home Page