|OWNERS: Andreas Engel family||LOCATION: Kendall County, 2 miles west of Comal County line||DATE: 1900 Style/Period: Commercial|
|BUILDER: Andreas Engel||CONSTRUCTED OF: Limestone Blocks; tin roof;||DESCRIPTION: One story native rock with stepped parapet above entrance.|
HISTORY:Andreas Engel, a native of Austria (b.1864), migrated to Texas in 1885. In 1900 he purchased land here and built a cotton gin, around which an agricultural community developed. When the area post office was moved here in 1901, Engel became postmaster. He named the town Bergheim which means "home in the hills" in the German language. He and his wife, Eva (Bechtold), opened a store at this site in 1903. Their son, Alfred, later added services, including a cedar yard, to meet community needs and to aid local development. The store has remained in the Engel family to this day. Present manager of the business is Alfred's grandson, Stanley Jones and his wife, Charlene (Coffey) Jones. Texas Historical Marker presented in 1983.
Source: Boerne Public Library files. The file contains an expanded story of the life of Andreas Engelhttp://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txbahps/build.htm