Kendalia was exquisitely planned to grow into a town of streets and parks, schools and churches. D. W. Grady, the county surveyor, made a plat of the proposed town in 1883, but the growth never materialized. George Elbel built a rock store building in 1911 and a cotton gin was built on the block designated in the original town plot. The first merchant was J. J. Merchon whose store housed the post office. J. W. Lawhon built a rock store building before 1900. Dr. Herrin had a drug store. Later Dr. Putnam added cold drinks to the drug store.
There was a school built. The first was built on the August Knibbe property but it was later torn down. The second was built on the W. B. Edge property on lower Curry's Creek. Another was built at Sheppard Creek.
There were two churches built. The Methodist Church remains in use and is a Texas Historical Landmark.
Source: Kendall County Historical Commission, A History of Kendall County Texas: Rivers, Ranches, Railroads, Recreation, Dallas, Tx., Taylor Publishing Co., 1984.
Now in the 21st century there is a great deal of movement from the city of San Antonio to the rural subdivisions. The rural communities like Kendalia are growing again.