HISTORY: Frederich Christian Meyer, a native of Germany, came
to Comfort only three years after the founding of the town. He and his wife
bought property along Cypress Creek and on the old road to San Antonio. They
enlarged their home in 1869 and this became an obvious place for a stage stop. A
second house was built for Mrs. Meyer to use as a maternity hospital as she was
a midwife to her neighbors. Yet another building was added to house overnight
In 1887 the railroad came to Comfort. This increased the need for housing. That year the Meyer Hotel was built. This was a two-story frame building south of their residence. The upper floor of the structure was used for guests and the ground floor housed a large kitchen and a dining room.
Again in 1920 a second guest house was added east of the first hotel. The hotel was being oprated by Julia Meyer Ellenberger at that time. She operated the business until her death in 1956.
This hotel has been called "Das Gast House" in more recent times.
Source: Boerne Public Library files.