riverside

HISTORY: The first blacksmith shop in Boerne was built and operated on this corner where the River Road and Main Street meet. Mathies Baumann was the owner and operator. Mr. Baumann, born in Germany, had arrived in Boerne in 1850. He farmed and raised cattle at one time in the north part of Boerne. He was one of the signers of the Kendall County Petition. His first wife was Anna Katrina Hutzler of San Antonio. Anna died in 1864. Several years later Mathies married Friedrika Ertel. This couple had six children: Henry, Gustav, Albert, Carolina, Philipina, and Louise. The Baumann's lived in a house which was near the shop. The Max Richter's lived in the old home for a few years in the 1940s and 1950s while their daughter was attending the local school. The house was eventually purchased and moved to the lot of Eddie and Doris Zinsmeister.

The need for blacksmith shops became much less as the automobile became the popular means of transportation. This building either was changed to accommodate the times or was torn down to build again, it is not known, but we do know that a filling station occupied the same corner lot in later years. The building pictured above housed the Riverside Station. The station was run by Buddy Rose at one time.

The creek side station was flooded many times, until finally it was torn down and re-built behind the original building on a slope of the hill.

Source: Gray, Edith A. Recollections of Boerne and Kendall County, 1949, p. 5; Personal knowledge of Cathy Schwarz

Back to Kendall County Main Page


Riverside Station
491 S. Main, Boerne
Library File #82.5
ID# 27897 ORIGINAL USE: Grocery PRESENT USE: Grocery/Service Station CURRENT OWNER: Zoeller, LLC
OWNERS: Baumann; Rose; Zoeller LOCATION: Wendler Addition Lot # 14 DATE: NA Style/Period: Commercial HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: NO
BUILDERS: NA CONSTRUCTED OF: Wood; flat roof; commercial CONDITION: Good DESCRIPTION: Has been serving the community for many years