402 E. Blanco
Library File #27
|OWNERS: Boerne School Society||ADDITION: Kuhlmann-Ryan LOTS: #119, 120||DATE: c1874 Style/Period: Schoolhouse|
|BUILDERS: Boerne School Society||CONSTRUCTED OF: Stone||DESCRIPTION: One story stone rubble, symmetrical with porch across front, chimneys at both ends, 2 over 2 windows, two doors at front and back, large stone lintels, no sills.|
HISTORY: On September 15, 1871, the Boerne Gesangenverein purchased Boerne Lots 119 and 120 of the Kuhlmann and Ryan Addition. On Jun 17, 1873, the Gesangenverein, at a regular meeting, resolved that they donate lots 119 and 120 to the Boerne School Society provided and on the condition that the Boerne School Society will within one year build a schoolhouse with at least two rooms. On August 18, 1874, the Gesangenverein resolved that whereas the Boerne School Society had completed a two room schoolhouse on Lots 119 and 120 by June 17, 1874, that they be granted the deed to the two lots, "in consideration of the benefit accruing to us and our children from the establishment of an institute of learning in the Town of Boerne." This, then, was the beginning of the first official public school in Boerne. This building was used as classrooms, a lunch room, exercise room at various times while a school. It became a workshop and storage area, then finally, offices for the city after the property was purchased for the City Utilities.
Source: Boerne Public Library files.- May, 1999