In 1913 area residents raised money to build a railroad linking Fredericksburg to San Antonio. The 920 foot tunnel beneath this hill increased the cost by $134,000 and required five months of hard labor. It opened a faster trade route for area merchants and farmers. Each time passenger trains entered the tunnel, small rocks, loosened by engine exhaust, were removed from the tract and the windows were closed to keep out coal smoke. The railroad operated until 1942 when the trackage was sold for scrap.- by Texas Historical Marker, 1978.
For more on the railway go to Railroads and Depots