HISTORY. Van Raub, Texas was a small community about twenty-four miles northwest of San Antonio and seven miles southeast from Boerne, Texas. It is very in Bexar County but very near the county line with Kendall County. According to the Handbook of Texas the community was established on a survey of the San Antonio and Aransas Railway in 1884 and was named for Byron Van Raub. Mr. Van Raub owned the first local business. In 1885 there was a church, a school, a cotton gin and a newspaper (The Advance). The community reported one hundred fifty residents in 1910. One of the residents, Henry Monken, was the railroad agent and postmaster. In 1919 the post office was replaced by rural delivery from Boerne. After World War II most of its remaining residents had moved away. The town of Fair Oaks Ranch, which began in the 1990's as a suburban development, includes most of the area once considered the community of Van Raub.
On September 25, 1912 the following item appeared in the Comfort News with a Boerne byline: "The cotton gin at Van Raub is shut down and has filed a petititon in bankruptcy, with debts $2,982 and assets $ 6430."
Source: Boerne Public Library files.- February 15, 2000
Back to Kendall County Main Page