vogthotel
VOGT HOTEL
200 S. Main, Boerne
Library File # 46.6
ID NA: :PRESENT OWNERS: Building Razed CURRENT OWNERS: NA
OWNERS: August and Pauline Vogt LOCATION: Torn Down in 1944 DATE:c1880 Style/Period: Victorian
BUILDER:August Vogt CONSTRUCTED OF: Wood frame; windows DESCRIPTION: Two story frame house with eight rooms. Outside stairway on the south side. Front porches upstairs and downstairs on two sides of the house.

HISTORY: August Gustav and Pauline Vogt lived in Boerne all of their lives. When they first married, they lived on South Main, a few years later A.G. operated a small store on the east side of Main Street and they lived in the Lavallee two story rock building behind the store.

On February 16, 1884 A. G. Vogt paid the estate of Catherine Richter, deceased, $1200 for "all that certain lot of land in town of boerne, Kendall County, Txas known on the map of said town as Lot 27, it being bounded on S.E. by Lot 28 and on west by Cibolo, on N. E. by Main street... being the same conveyed by John James to Ernest Richter by deeds dated 16th and 19th of August 1863."

It was on this Lot 27 that A.G. and Pauline built their home on Main Street, which they from time to time as they were able and needed it, improved same to suit the occasion and also more room for rthe advanced business, which in former years was known as the popular Vogt House, which was a very convenient and popular stopping place. Mr. and Mrs. Vogt and their Vogt House quarters were always known for their congeniency and kindness and also for always serving the best. Board and Lodging at the Vogt House was only $4.50 a week.

In 1922 there were eight bedrooms upstairs with a hall running through the center. the outside stairway was on the south side. Downstairs there were four bedrooms, a living room, a long dining room, a large kitchen, pantry and bathroom. There was a front porch upstairs and downstairs, on two sides of the house. The kitchen opened onto another porch where a large icebox was easy to get to. An overstuffed couch, some high backed rocking chairs along with pot plants, made this porch inviting.

A large vegetable garden and a driveway separated the back yard from the Fabra feedlot pens

In the front yard there was a round gold fish pond with a fountain in the center. Beside the pond grew a pecan tree.

In 1944, the Vogt House was torn down, the pond dug up and all that remains today is that pecan tree. It still stands tall in the parking lot on the north side of the Boerne State Bank, next to the night depository. The bank now owns Lot 27.

Source: Willie Mae Schuchardt, (about 1950); Boerne Public Library files.