WELFARE SCHOOLHOUSE
217 Waring-Welfare Road in the community of Welfare, Tx
(Exit 533 IH 10 W)
Library File #300.083
OWNERS: Community LOCATION: WELFARE Community DATE:c1891 Style/Period: Pioneer school.
BUILDER:Early residents CONSTRUCTED OF: Wood Frame; tin roof; 4 x 4 windows DESCRIPTION: One room, wood fram structure with a stone foundation and shed roof porches.

HISTORY: Built as a one-teacher school about 1878 to serve the rural Welfare community in Kendall County, this building was originally located on the west side of Joshua Creek. It was moved to this site around 1902. Separate classes were held for African American students after 1907. A porch was added to the structure about 1912. The largest enrollment was in 1916 when there were 25 students in attendance.

This building served as a school until 1952 when schools across the state were consolidated. These families sent their children to the Comfort School.

Source: Program for the Marker Dedication on November 2, 2001 in Boerne Public Library files.

Please use your Browsers BACK Button to Return to Main Page