Welfare was a small community called Bon Ton in 1846. When the railroad was built to Fredericksburg from San Antonio, the name was changed to Welfare. The history of this community was made by the transportation methods of the time. Mail was originally delivered by bicycle, then by stagecoach, then by railroad. A depot and water tank were built for the train to make a stop. The trains would pick up mail, milk cans, cattle, chickens and produce for the market. People also travelled this method. A hotel was opened for the traveller, and a saloon for the thirsty. A post office opened to receive and dispense correspondence. As usual the post office was accompanied by a general store. The railroad was no longer needed after highways became the means for travel. The only thing left of the business part of the community was the general store. The railroad tracks were removed in 1960.
Source: Kendall County Historical Commission, A History of Kendall County Texas: Rivers, Ranches, Railroads, Recreation, Dallas, Tx., Taylor Publishing Co., 1984.