Search billions of records on


WINDSOR, TEXAS (Kendall County). Windsor was a stagecoach stop on the north side of the Guadalupe River. Edward Wentworth purchased land here in 1874, built a limestone house to serve as a stage stop. He acquired the post office in 1880, and Wentworth's wife, Lucy, became postmaster. In 1887 the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway built a spur line from San Antonio to Kerrville with a proposed branch to Fredericksburg. When the railroad line was built it ran on the opposite bank of the Guadalupe River. The stage route was discontinued. The post office was moved to the south side of the river in 1887 to the new community of Waring.

SOURCES: Kendall County Historical Commission, A History of Kendall County Texas: Rivers, Ranches, Railroads, Recreation, Dallas, Tx., Taylor Publishing Co., 1984.