LADY OF GUADALUPE
CHURCH - 1948
(Photo courtesy of Robert Puig whose maternal grandmother,
Jovita Villarreal Guerrero.
is in the group to the left of the entrance)
Our Lady of
Guadalupe Church served the Hispanic Community of Kerrville from 1914 to 1965. The church also served as a school for many
of the Mexican-American children who lived in the area. It was
located on Francisco Lemos Street where Jefferson Street intersects.
A storage facility is now at the site.
Father Henry M.
Kemper, beloved Priest and mentor for many years in Kerrville, exchanged
some of his property on Main and Houston (now Rodriguez) streets for the Lemos
Street property which was owned by the Ayala family and then by Emmett and
Margarita Carranza Bowles. He then donated the land for
the church which he founded. He also donated property
for Our Lady of Guadalupe Cemetery located not far away where he was buried when
he died in 1957.
This photo was made on December 12, 1948, a day of Celebration of Our Lady of
Guadalupe, the patron Saint of the church.
Back to Kerr County Photos &
Back to Kerr County Genealogy Webpage Home
Copyrighted © 2004