One of the fertile areas of
genealogical research is the cemetery - and Kerr County has its share of
rewarding sites. The oldest is the OLD JAPONICA CEMETERY (Hunt Japonica). Begun eight years
before Kerr County was organized, it has more than 450 graves in it. Including
Japonica, there are Forty-one Kerr County cemeteries listed here with notes from "Cemeteries of Kerr County
1859-1976" published in 1980 by Kerrville Genealogical Society plus more
recent surveys conducted by members of that society. An
additional Eight cemetery surveys or burial plots
come from the
researchers of those cemeteries or other sources.
These are: Adams Cemetery, Altenheim Cemetery, Bolin Family
Cemetery, Cravey Family Plot, Gaston Burial Site, Stieler Graves, Watson Grave and Willborn/Wellborn
Burials. There is also
a link to the San Antonio Genealogical & Historical Society's cemetery listing
on this page.
Click on the
blue hyperlinked cemetery name to take you to that cemetery's page where the names and dates of
their burials are listed. Note:
New GPS positions have been taken in 2009 by Jeanne Sutton, Kerr County historian. These are more accurate than
those previously posted. See them at the end of most cemetery's
Don't Know Which Cemetery?
Charles Sherman has prepared a Master
Index for these Kerr County Cemeteries.
Find the name you
seek on one of the Alpha index pages, then return to this page to find the listing on the Cemetery's page.
(cemeteries with photos)
CEMETERY - About 12 miles from Medina, Texas, on a mountain located on a
This is a link to the Cemetery listing by Florence Adams Gifford at the
Bandera County TXGenWeb page.
The Altenheim Cemetery is located at Hermann Sons, West of
Comfort on Hwy.27. Most of the markers have the name of the Lodge to which the
person belonged. This burials listing is from a survey made by members of the
Boerne Area Historical Preservation Society in 1986, and is used by permission of Catherine Schwarz.
by Jeanne Sutton. Lat 29°56.253N
(Re-Surveyed - Feb 2005) Established 1892; Located on Baldwin Rd off
Hwy 39 at the Waltonia Lodges Crossing. Family
cemetery with over 50 burials; Oldest is Katie Lackey (b.14 Nov.1893 d. 22 Sep. 1894).
Lat 30°03.967 N Long 99°17.746W
BISHOP-SURBER CEMETERY -
(Surveyed Feb 2007) This
cemetery, located on private property in Kerr County near the Kendall County
Line, has several broken stones which are now unreadable. It
was established about 1880. There are 7 readable stones; Oldest is
J. L. Surber who was buried in 1881.
BOLIN FAMILY CEMETERY -
private property on Stone Leigh Rd. in Center Point. Currently only one
HILLS RANCH -
Located on Farm Road 187 going toward Leakey, Texas. Formerly owned by Adam
Wilson. Also known as the Wilson Family Cemetery. 2 Graves, the oldest being
that of Adam Wilson, III, died in 1953.
Established 1938; Located just off Elm Pass Road, 3 miles south of Center Point;
A 2-grave family plot; Oldest is Edward Bridges (d. 8 Apr. 1938).
(Re-Surveyed -Nov 2001) Established 1872; Located on Spur 100, just past the
VA Medical Center;
Started for the family of Joshua Brown, the County's first settler, it has over
65 inscribed gravestones. An Historical Marker
stands on the grounds. Lat
VERDE COMMUNITY CEMETERY -
(Re-Surveyed - May
2004) Established 1892; Over 100 graves. Located on Camp Verde Road, about
a mile west of the
Camp Verde Store. Oldest grave is B. F. Oatman (b. 22 Jul. 1835 d. Oct. 1893).
Some updates posted - Apr 2007. Lat 29°53.540N Long 99°06.710W
FORT CEMETERY -
Established before 1874; Located about a mile past the Camp Verde Community
Cemetery; In 1874, J. A. Bonnell purchased the 640 acres which included the
grounds of the historic "camel fort", after the Confederate Army
abandoned it as a military outpost; Mr. & Mrs. Bonnell are buried there.
Established 1859; Historically significant for the more than 30 Texas Rangers
buried there; More than 1300 graves; Oldest is Charles DeGanahl (b.1855-
d.1859). Lat 29°56.099N Long 99°02.270W
FAMILY CEMETERY -
Established 1927; Located off Indian Creek Road; A private cemetery with 12
marked graves; Oldest is infant Al Colbath (d.1927). Lat 30°02.979N Long
Established 1900; Located off FM Road 1340, on what is now Bear Creek Boy Scout
Ranch; 10 tombstones in this family plot.
FAMILY PLOT – Located on the Warren Ingenhuett Ranch, 7 miles south of Center
Point on Elm Pass Road which is private property. Three marked graves.
On private property 4 miles west of Hunt on Hwy 39.
Newly established in 2008. 1 burial.
30°01.828N Long 99° 21.603W
CREEK COMMUNITY CEMETERY - Established 1860; Located on the private property of the Perry Lich
Farm, on Lower Cypress Creek Road; Oldest tombstone is Laura Steves Boerner
(b.1836 - d.1861). Lat 30°01.036N
Established 1874; Located on private property, on Cherry Creek in far east Kerr
County; A 5-grave plot; Oldest is Nancy Witt (b.& d.20 Apr. 1874).
BRANCH CEMETERY -
Inscriptions are included) Also known as Lindley Cemetery, it was established
in 1882; Located about
6 miles west of Ingram off Texas 27 and at Dry Branch Creek. A 14-plot
graveyard; Oldest is J. L. McKeen (b.1828- d. Mar 1882).
OF MEMORIES CEMETERY -
Apr 2007) This cemetery is actively used at the present time. It is a
perpetual care cemetery located about 3 miles north of Kerrville, on St. Hwy 16.
Over 7,900 graves.
Lat 30°04.77N Long 99°05.928W
OF MEMORIES - NORTH -
(Re-Surveyed - Nov 2004) (Tombstone Inscriptions and Photos
are included) Established about 1968; Located at the end of Webster
Street, in Kerrville, next to Carver Park. A cemetery for the Black Community of
Kerrville. Over 150 graves.
GASTON BURIAL SITE
- George Hugh Gaston died in San Antonio
in 1956 and had a private burial on his ranch located on Cypress Creek Road in
GATE OF HEAVEN CEMETERY -
Establish 1950; Located on the grounds of the Kerrville State Hospital;
Oldest graves are those of Maria Alemon (d. 1950) and Ona Bell (d.1950).
REST CEMETERY -
(Re-Surveyed -Nov 2003) Established 1882; Located off
Texas 27, near the entrance to Schreiner University in Kerrville. Oldest grave is
Arthur Galbraith (b.9 Aug. 1880- d.12 May 1883).
Photos Added Feb 2008 Lat 30°01.757N Long 99°08.061W (Erroneously
listed as "Glen Rose" on some lists)
Established 1917; Hispanic cemetery located on Town Creek Road, just past the
intersection of Bluebonnet Drive and Town Creek Road, in Kerrville. There are
over 275 marked graves with the most notable being that of Father Kemper, who
started the town's Notre Dame Catholic Church; Oldest grave is that of infant
Rudolfo Reyes (d. 7 Oct. 1917).
Lat 30°03.710N Long 99°08.746W
Established 1908; Located on Lower Turtle Creek Road (FM 2771); A 6-grave plot;
Oldest grave is Frieda Habecker (d. 1908).
FAMILY CEMETERY -
Established 1886; Located 100 yds. north of Delaney Hall, on the campus of
Schreiner University. This was originally part of the Harris Farm and is a 7-grave plot. Oldest is
Catherine Harris (b.20 Aug 1833 d.14 Jan 1866).
Long 99° 07.914 W
FAMILY CEMETERY -
Established 1873; Located on private property, about 3 miles south of Center
Point; Oldest grave is Johanna Heise (b.1836 d.1873).
BRANCH CEMETERY -
Established 1870; Located about west of Ingram, on Henderson Branch
Road; 27 graves; Oldest are twins Philip and Thomas Henderson (b.19 Apr. 1870-
d.20 Apr. 1870). Lat 30°07.261N
Established 1898; Located on the Holliman Ranch, off Bandera Highway near the
Kerrville State Park; Family cemetery with 15 marked graves; Oldest tombstone is
Holliman (b.18 Feb. 1824- d.12 Mar. 1899).
(Re-Surveyed May 2002)
(Tombstone inscriptions are included) There are over 115 photos of the Hunt Japonica grave markers provided by Charles
Sherman. The cemetery is located on Farm Road 1340 along the river near
Hunt. It is the
oldest cemetery in Kerr County and is still actively used
and well kept. Lat 30°04679N Long 99°20.790W
VALLEY CEMETERIES - Established 1907 and 1914; Located on Lane Valley Road,
about 3 miles east of Center Point, off Texas 27; these two African American cemeteries
have several unmarked graves in addition to the marked ones listed here.
FAMILY CEMETERY -
Established 1861; Located on the old George Sutherland Ranch, between Old Center
Point Road and Texas 27; A 2-grave plot; Oldest is Henry Moore (b.Sept. 1822-
d.25 Oct. 1860).
View Cemetery was Kerrville's first city cemetery, started in 1863.
It is located off Sidney Baker St., near Antler Stadium, in Kerrville. There are
over 600 graves, some unmarked. The oldest tombstone is that of John Corn
born September 21, 1818, and died June 1864.
Cemetery was established in 1859 and is located about
3 miles west of Kerrville, off Texas 27; There are more than 800 graves.
The oldest is W.
Rowland Nichols, killed by Indians (b.1805- d.1859).
Billie Nichols-Bennett and Linda Minton have provided many photos
of Nichols Cemetery gravestones.
Click on the blue links to see the photos.
Lat 30°04.359N Long 99°12.939W
FAMILY PLOT -
(Re-surveyed - Dec 2004) Established 1861; Located on the old Casper Real Ranch, on Lower Turtle Creek
Road; 44 graves; Oldest is Sabine (Krey) Real (d.17 Mar. 1862).
29°57.653N Long 99°08.810W
SAN ANTONIO GENEALOGICAL & HISTORICAL SOCIETY CEMETERY LISTINGS
SAGHS website has a section on cemeteries and a partial index to many Bexar
County area burials.
(Re-surveyed - Feb 2008)
Located on Cypress Creek Road
(FM 1341), near the east border of Kerr County and near the town of Comfort in
Over 200 graves.
1892; Located on the old Alliger Ranch, in Camp Verde; 2 graves; Oldest is John
Shults (b.10 Aug. 1822- d.12 Jan. 1892). Lat 29°53.922N
Established 1863; Located next to the entrance to Wal-Mart on Junction Highway in Kerrville; 10 graves; Oldest is Jones Starkey (b.8 Sep. 1862- d.9 Sep. 1862).
GRAVES - Located on private property in Kerr
County. 2 graves.
(Tombstone photos & inscriptions are included)
Established 1872; Located 17 miles northwest of Kerrville, off Texas 27, just
past the State Fish Hatchery Road; Oldest graves are those of the
four Dowdy children, who were murdered near their home on Oct. 5th, 1878. (Some
updates posted June 2008) Lat 30°09.368N Long 99°21057W (Erroneously listed as being in Kimble County
on some lists)
MOUNTAIN CEMETERY -
Located at the east corner of FM 1341 and Loop 534 in Kerrville; a
city-owned, unkept cemetery with 140 known graves; Oldest is Valentina Garza
(d.1899). Lat 30°03.151N Long 99°06.793W
FAMILY PLOT -
Established 1888; Located on top of Tivy Mountain, in Kerrville; Graves of Capt.
Joseph Tivy, his wife, his sister and the pet cat (who was buried there by
Chester Nimitz when he was a boy); Oldest is Ella Tivy (d. 8 Apr. 1888).
CREEK CEMETERY -
Nov 2003) (Tombstone inscriptions included) Established 1873; Located in the community of Turtle Creek on FM 1273, about 10
miles south Kerrville. Oldest legible grave is Miles Denton (b.10 Apr. 1857- d.21 Jul. 1875).
Some updates posted - Apr 2006.
Lat 29°58.499N Long 99°13.221W
VALLEY CEMETERY -
Established 1865; Located on the
Las Espuelas Ranch (formerly known as the Verde Valley Ranch), between Center Point and
Camp Verde; 11 marked graves; Oldest is Henry Lange (b.1833- d.1865).
NATIONAL CEMETERY -
Established 1923; Located on Spur 100, just past the Brown
Cemetery, in Kerrville; 485 graves; Oldest is Ismel August, Pvt.41 Inf.(d.9 Nov.
1923). Lat 30°00.835N
- Located on private property in the Camp
- Located on Van Hoozer property in Shalako Estates off Goat Creek Road, Kerr
(Re-Surveyed Nov 2004) Established 1870; Located on Wharton Road off
of SH 173, about 6 miles southeast of
Kerrville; Oldest grave is W.W. Wharton (b.1799- d.1871). Lat 29°58.330 N
WILLBORN/WELLBORN BURIALS - Located on private property in
eastern Kerr county. Five known burials.
Located on private property off
Lazy Creek Road near Ingram, Texas. 4 Graves.
Lat 30°04.212N Long 99°17.42W
© 2000: Shirley D. Webb
All Rights Reserved
To Kerr County TXGenWeb Genealogy page