UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
ONE HUNDRED YEARS, 1874-1974
of the first Methodist Churches of Miller County, Arkansas, was
organized in the Mt. Pleasant School House in 1874. The first
pastor was Rev. Jenkins. In 1900 the camp meeting grounds were
moved to the present site and a large Tabernacle was built. This
land was donated by, George Fouke, a pioneer of Miller County.
present brick building was built in 1921 by Allen Few, and was
named Few Memorial in memory of his parents and family who were
also pioneers of the Mt. Pleasant Community. The Few Memorial
Methodist church was completed ready for worship and dedicated
June 19, 1921. The Rev. Francis N. Brewer was the pastor at this
Sunday May 5, 1974 the One Hundredth Anniversary was celebrated
with a morning worship service at 10 AM with Bishop Eugene M.
Frank as Guest Speaker. Lunch was served and then visiting until
1:30 PM. In the afternoon program, many Former Members were
recognized and a Memorial Service was held and those on the Roll
Call were, Mrs. Glenn (Bessie) Tanner, Mrs. Lula McBeth, Mr.
Lonnie W. Wyatt, Mrs. Fannie McBride, Mr. Donald K. Moore, Mrs.
Rebecca Middleton (wife of Dr. B. C. Middleton), Mr. Thomas V.
Yates, Mrs. Carrie Wise, Mr. George Winham, Mr. Tom C.
Claiborne, Mr. Earnie Nance, Mr. Walter M. Wall, and Mrs. John
homecoming committee consisted of Mrs. Paul Michael, Mrs. E. C.
Crawford, Sr., Mr. Sherman E. Giles, Sr., W. E. O’Neal, Cutis
Parsons, Mrs. Carl Martindale, Rev. Dorothy Claiborne, Sherman
E. Giles, Jr., H. Q. Russell, Mrs. Frank Morphew, Mrs. A. L.
Meador, Holley Perkins, Jr., Mrs. Dorothy Watson, and Mrs.
of 1974, the fifth generation of the Few Family was still
worshiping in this church. Next year, 2004, the Few Memorial
United Methodist Church will be 130 years old.
by Betty Meador Sharp
Handout for the one-hundredth year Program, May 5, 1974