in the issue for Spring & Summer 2002.
More details in the publication.
people chartered the church in 1892. A young preacher, named
Wilson, who was pastor of the Fairview Methodist Church on the
Arkansas side, preached to the group while they sat on orange
crates and apple boxes.. Larger
quarters were needed, and in 1893 the group moved to a store
building on Buchanan Avenue.
In 1894, Captain F. M. Henry
donated a lot on Phenie Avenue on which a
small building was constructed. The church continued at this
location until Dr. Timons, pastor of the State Line Methodist
Church, appointed a committee to sell the property on Phenie
Avenue and build a church on Rose Hill.
later, when Charles Hughes was pastor, the name of the Rose Hill
Methodist Church was changed to Hardy Memorial Methodist Church in
honor of the founding pastor, Rev. G. C. Hardy and his son
“Buck”. The Rev. J. Ed Morgan came in 1909 and his pastorate
of four years was outstanding. After the pastorates of Rev. C. T.
Cummings, Rev. Jesse Lee and Rev. A. T. Walker, the congregation
soon overflowed the little white sanctuary.
After Rev. J.
T. Moore became pastor, a large brick sanctuary and church was
constructed by Mr. John McGraw, contractor, at West Seventh and
Sherman Streets. It was finished in 1919 and served for 40 years.
sanctuary is located at West Seventh and Whitaker and was built in
March 10, 2002, Hardy Memorial United Church celebrated its 110th
Anniversary . Submitted by Betty Meador Sharp