Paso & Pacific RR resumed construction and by 1870
came part of the Texas and Pacific (T&P) RR
1870 Floyd C Wood age 22 b. Ala, listed as Sheriff of
Lafayette County in LeGrange Twp. census.
1870 Floyd C Wood
22 b. Ala, listed as Sheriff of Lafayette County in
LeGrange Twp. census.
The first frame building erected in
Texarkana was on West Broad St. the Apex Hotel, which was
quit an attraction among the tents etc. that occupied the
rest of the town. ( Kress Store was later located at the
Atlanta Ga. Newspaper: Texarkana is built at the
junction of Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana. It
received its name in 1819, when an enthuiastic surveyor,
running the lines, blaze the tree fragments of the names
of the new states on a tree, and predicted that a great
city would be built there. Three years ago, when the
town was founded, the name, still to be seen on the old
tree, was adopted, and the prediction seems in a fair way
to be accomplished, as the little, burg has some three
thousand inhabitants and is an important railroad
- W.H. Fearing from Champion Hill Church, Near Camden,
Worked on Gate City News in 1873. Published = 18 Oct
1908 Four States Press
The Cairo & Fulton Railroad track was to join the T
& P RR linking Dallas to St. Louis. The junction was
meant to be at what is now Nash Tx. however a
charter from the state was required and this delayed the
completion. The decision was then made to meet at
the state line.
Ferguson owned a sawmill where the Ark. viaduct is now
Cairo & Fulton RR sold town lots for Texarkana Ark.
Miller County Arkansas is created from Lafayette County
Miller Co. was created again, this time from Lafayette Co.
This took place after the sale of town lots.
John A. Roberts assumes duty as Sheriff of Miller Co. Ar.
until 1882. John A. was a ex-Confederate soldier,
and in addition to being Sheriff he is a farmer and
mill man. His wife died and Capt. Roberts remained a
widower until 1878, when he married Miss Tennessee
Bowlin, and one son, Albert L., is the result of
this union. Capt. Roberts was a member of the
Missionary Baptist Church.
1874 Rev. Charles Goldberg opened a private
school on 3rd. St.
Dec. 1874 After the appearance of the railroad an
act to establish Miller Co. was approved. This is as
known today. Election precincts were located at
Texarkana, Rondo, McKenzie's Store, Wynn's School
and Bright Star
A. Roberts assumes duty as the first Sheriff of Miller Co.
Ar. until 1882
N. J. Flint was hired as the first city marshall of
Texarkana Texas, he served till 1877
A dog tax was placed on dogs in the city, males 1.00 and
females 2.00, it was the duty of the city marshall to
enforce this tax
Feb. 1875 The county court organized at Texarkana,
27 Feb. 1875 under Judge Edwin Bancroft, who was 35
years of age, married and had three children, Blanche,
Sarah and R?dey? ages 8, 5 and 1.
The Cairo & Fulton RR and Texas & Pacific RR
jointly built a union station for Texarkana.
The family of Benjamin M. Foreman moved to Texarkana
The Texarkana Democrat Weekly paper was founded by G. H.
& F. G. Wooten.
Submitted by TU. Info from Four States Living Aug.
- Ragland Firm
Ragland began as a book
and stationery store early in 1876, by J. S.
Ragland. On May 14, 1932 he retired after 56 years
of service. He sold his business to A. Adkins.
Mr. Atkins started his career in 1919 as a serviceman for
the Underwood Corporation. Later he was appointed
manager of the local Underwood office. Early 1930's
Underwood abolished company owned sub branches and Mr.
Atkins was designated the Underwood Sales Agent for the
Texarkana area, First distributor appointed in the United
States. The Underwood agency was merged with the
Ragland firm . J. A. Webster Jr. later became a
partner in the business. In 1940 the Otto Moore & Son
Printing Co., established by Mr. Moore in 1895 was
purchased by Mr. Atkins and merged with the firm, adding
printing as a service to Ragland customers. Ragland
became a distributor for A. B. Dick Company in 1941.
On the death of Mr. Webster in 1952 , partnership was
formed between A. Atkins, Jerry Atkins, Bill Atkins and S.
M. McAdoo Jr., Mr McAdoo joined the firm in 1944.
Sam McAdoo retired July 1, 1979 and A. Atkins did March 9,
1980. Underwood became the Olivetti Corporation and
the distrubtorship for both it and A. B. Dick were sold.
James P Ashcraft appointed to serve as the first City
Marshall of Texarkana Arkansas, he served until 1880.
James was born in Sept. 1845 in Pa. When appointed City Marshall he was a father of one infant
dau. Ella M Ashcraft. ( there were three other
children born later; James E Ashcraft b. June 1881 Ala.,
died 3 June 1927 Rose Hill Cem., May Ashcraft born May
1884 Ark and George Ashcraft born May 1886 Ark. info from
16, 1879 Buhrman-Pharr opened. W. J. Buhrman & J.
L. Chatfield together opened it. Submitted by
TU. Info from Four States Living Aug. 2002
street name changes for Texarkana
Olive was Vine St
Wood St. (AR) was Elm
3rd St. was Clinton St
4th St was Forrest ST
5th St was Moores St
6th St. was Drenned St
7th St. was Trigg ST
8th St was North St
9th St was Locust St
Vinyard St. changed to ?
Estes St changed to ?
Walters St was Troost St
Marietta St was Wyandotte St
Seibert St was Travers St
Burton St changed to Grim and Scott St changed to Burton
Wooten Spring Park changed to Spring Lake Park (Texas)
by Wayne Adcock, unless other name noted.
early Texarkana newspapers, Texarkana Gazette, Drew Co. Ar.
newspapers, Texarkana minuets books, Miller County records.
Notes in my files of unknown origin.