Runnels Cemetery is located on RRAD. The nearest
town, Chalybeate Springs, has long since
disappeared. The cemetery is enclosed by a white
picket fence. It is located on a small bluff. About
three hundred feet from the cemetery is a marble
marker, placed on this site by the State of Texas,
showing the spot where a beautiful Colonial
two-story mansion, owned by Governor Hardin R.
(Dick) Runnels once stood. The inscription on the
marker reads as follows:
the home of Hardin R. Runnels (1820-1873), Governor
of Texas, 1857-1859.” The house was built in 1853.
Destroyed by fire in 1914. Here Governor Runnels
died. He was also buried nearby. His remains were
later removed to the State Cemetery in Austin.
the cemetery are:
Edmund S., Jr.
0/2/1863 s/o E.S. & T.M.
9/1/1851 memorial, d/o E.S & T.M.
4/14/1855 d/o E.S. & T.M.
Martha Zerrelda Elizabeth 8/6/1848
Smithia Jane Hooks
6/13/1852 w/o H.W. Runnels
9/2/1865 w/o E.S.