* 400 East Broad *

About 1929

400 and part 500 East Broad St. - Starting in the upper left at Broad and Walnut facing Broad (south) is 401 Walkers Bargain House dry goods, in the same building was also Russell Bros. furniture. Standard Storage Co, Prator Bros. shoe repair then at 405 was Dobson & Co general merchandise, 407 was W. B. Steel Gro. 409 was East Side Furniture, at 413 was O'Dwyer & Ahern dry goods, 415 was Victor Cafe and then at the opposite corner facing south is the old Baltimore Hotel with rooms to rent at one dollar per night. In the lower right is a portion of the 500 Block of Broad St. Notice how the sign boards hide the lot from the street traffic. This block was often a very rowdy place and it was common for police chief Max Tackett  to assign a officer to foot patrol on this block after he became chief in 1948. W. D. Hays was chief at time of this photo. The businesses in the 500 block at the time  was Baxter Gro., Phillips Barber Shop and J. B. Huckabee blacksmith. Behind the Baltimore Hotel is the New-Ark Hotel and Walsh Lumpkin Drug Co, both of the hotels have been demolished and there is a parking lot there today. Notice the small two story brick building in the alley of the three hundred block, this is the old police station.   Look at the top of the photo, the large house at the corner of 3rd and Walnut, (223 Walnut) is the home of Mrs. L. M. Eaton, only a parking lot remains. The building next to it at 217 Walnut is Miller County Bank and Trust, 215 Walnut is Bank Cafe, 213 Woodward Dry Goods, 211 Stacks Barber Shop, 209 Liberty Land and Loan. A portion of the old Ark. Municipal building is visible, facing third, the police building is behind the municipal bldg.

Submitted by Wayne Adcock