* Kline Park*
KLINE PARK WAS FIRST PARK CREATED IN
CITY; MADE POSSIBLE BY CIVIC LEAGUE,
IT WAS NAMED IN HONOR OF MAYOR KLINE
Sun. 16 Sept. 1948 (probably Texarkana Gazette)
At a Civic League meeting in April, 1914, it was announced that the Ladies Civic League had purchased a block of ground on Beech between Eighth and
Ninth streets for a park site. This became Kline Park, so named because of the late Mayor John P. Kline's assistance in building it.
The park commission charged with purchasing the site and beautifying the grounds were Mrs. John P. Kline, Mrs. E. W. Frost and Mrs. James Buchanan. It
was during Mayor Kline's administration that the park became a reality.
Some years later the park was enlarged by the city's purchase of the Norwood property which adjoined it. On February 22, 1915, the Civic League held a
Memorial Tree Planting ceremony there for the purpose of planting three oak seedlings from the historic oaks of Mount Vernon. These had been obtained by
Mrs. Kline who later became a member of the American Tree Association, Washington, D. C.
On February 21, 1932, the Maydale Garden Club planted magnolia trees there in memory of Mayor Kline and S. C. Nancarrow and live oaks were planted in
tribute to Mrs. Mary Temple Huckins, Col. J. L. Wadley and the Albert Pike chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Gifts from individuals and clubs have made the park one of the cities beauty spots.
Submitted by Wayne Adcock