Fort Boggy Historical Marker -- located five
miles south of Centerville off Hwy 75. The Blockhouse was established by
the pioneer settlers to protect them from the Keechi and Kickapoo Indians in
1840, on the Erwin land. It was under the leadership of Thomas Greer along
with the Texas Rangers. It has been a legend of Centerville, Leon Co. all
through history. It is one of the most important historical sites of Leon
Co. Now the Eileen Sullivan family of Centerville has donated additional
land for a park, a wildlife and special animal reserve, and much more added
attractions. Fort Boggy is the most visited historical site of our local
people and of travelers.
The Concord Missionary Baptist Church -- It was
the first organized church of Leon Co. The church was organized in April
of 1855 by the pioneer settlers. The first pastor was W. A. Walker.
Isaac Burleson donated the site for the church. It was erected in Greek
revival style. The church was remodeled in 1961 and recorded as an
historical landmark in 1970. The historical marker is dedicated to the
memory of Mrs. Bertha Burke by her children Mrs. L.R. LaGrone and Springer
Burke. It is located on Hwy 7 in the Concord Community.
The Rogers Prairie Area -- It was settled by
Robert Rogers in 1835. He had received a land grant from the Mexican government.
He was joined by brother Stephen Rogers and other white immigrants. The
community prospered with a church, school, post office, Masonic Lodge, and
several stores. Rogers Prairie by-passed the Trinity and Brazos railroad.
In 1906 the township was moved 1.6 miles west and renamed Normangee. A
Texas marker is erected on the Old San Antonio Road in honor of Robert Rogers.
The First Courthouse in Leona -- It was located
east side of Hwy 75, behind the post office. The first courthouse was a
log building. Leona was the first county seat. The first court was
held in the home of Moses Campbell until the log courthouse was built. The
Leona Settlement was established in 1845 and grew into a populated and thriving
township with stores, doctors, building, a post office, school, and church.
The courthouse premises was the center point of the peoples gatherings. In
the years to come, the population grew on the outskirts of Leona and the Leon
County people wanted a more central township for their county seat. The
Texas Legislature ruled Centerville to be the County seat in 1850.
The Centerville, Leon Co. Courthouse --
The Leon County Courthouse in Centerville was built in 1887.
Centerville was laid out in 1850. It was built into a suitable square with
lots. The first settlers were Matthew Taylor, Orson McDaniel, William
Kergwin and Thomas Garner. The first store was owned by G. H. B. Grigsby.
The first hotel was owned and operated by W. R. Saunders. When Centerville
was given the honor of being the county seat, the courthouse became the center
point of the town square. The town grew into a populated, thriving
settlement. Centerville was within a five-mile radius of our Leon County
settlements. It was the strength and focal center of Leon County.
The historical marker site was established in 1887 and was a special treasure of
our pioneer settlers and also for our people today.
The Colonel Robert Simeon Gould Marker --
This is an honorable Texas marker located two miles west of Buffalo
on Hwy 79. This historical site is to honor Robert Simeon Gould. He was a
hero of the Leon County Confederacy. He raised a company of Leon County.
He was promoted to Major. The Gould Battalion was vital to the Confederacy
and the reconstruction of Leon County and southern states.
The King Family Cemetery --
Located twelve miles south of Centerville on FM 119. R. Baxter
King participated in the Battle of Salada Creek, Bexar County and joined the
Mier Expedition in 1842. The Baxter King historical site marker was
erected in 1936.
The Durst Family Cemetery --
Located two miles east of Leona on FM 977. John Durst came to Texas in
1821 and was owner of the Old Stone Fort in Nacogdoches in 1835. He moved
to Leon County in 1844, his wife being the first Anglo American of Leon County.
The Brushy Cemetery -- Located south of Buffalo US
75, approx. 4 miles to FM 831. Approx. 1 mile down FM 831 to CR
2721. Turn right on CR 2721 and go approx. 1 mile. Cemetery will
be on the left. It was established in 1883 by Wade and William Yarborough
and became an official state of Texas historical marker in 2002.