Lamar Fontaine Chapter 33, UDC, is one of the oldest organizations
of its kind in Brazoria County .
On May 4, 1895, 25 ladies from Alvin and the surrounding area
gathered at the Alvin Immigration Office to organize an auxiliary
with a 5-fold purpose:
1. To care for their Confederate veterans
2. To educate the children of these
3. To perpetuate the memory of those who
had lost their lives in fighting for their cause
4. To carry forward the history of
5. To bind together the descendants of
the Confederate soldiers in inherited
Thus on this day was
created the Lamar Fontaine Daughters of the Confederacy Auxiliary to
the John A. Wharton Camp of Confederate Veterans. Their motto was:
“Benevolent, Memorial, Historical, Educational, and Social.”
In May, 1924, this auxiliary raised a monument to the 37 veterans of
the John A. Wharton Camp buried in the Alvin Confederate Cemetery .
This group also
erected a building known as the United Daughters of the Confederacy
Hall, which was used for meetings and entertainment. Among the many
projects and accomplishments of the society was the making in 1906
of a large Confederate flag, measuring 9 x 12 feet, and for years
this flag was flown in the Confederate Cemetery on April 26,
Confederate Veterans Day.
As the years passed, the veterans died, the widows died, and few of
the daughters remained. In 1928, the charter, which had been granted
to the chapter on March 21, 1896, was surrendered and the ‘most
prized possessions’ were placed in the Texas Confederate Museum in
Austin : the minutes book, the flag, the charter, and the Emma Gray
When the world had endured the changes of other and worse wars, the
UDC began to experience a new meaning as a historical and patriotic
society. In August, 1946, as the Texas Division of the UDC made
plans for its 50th anniversary, the Lamar Fontaine Chapter rose
again with 12 charter members and papers of 10 members pending. The
original number of 33 was requested, but the request was denied, and
the chapter was given the number of 2142. In the spring of 1947, the
request was made and granted that the ‘prized possessions’ of the
original chapter be returned.
Convention in 1947, the chapter was awarded a Golden Jubilee Plate
for the highest percentage of new members (14). At this meeting, the
chapter was also accorded special mention for assistance given in
the organization of the John B. Hood Chapter of Pattison.
In 1949, another Golden Jubilee Plate was awarded the chapter at
Division Convention for the best report. Also in that year the
members set 75 iron markers on Confederate graves in the cemeteries
at Alvin, Angleton, Baileys Prairie, Columbia, and Peach Point.
In 1950, the chapter was awarded a gavel for the best report and the
largest number of new UDC magazine subscriptions. Also, in that
year, the Betty Bingham Munson Chapter, Children of the Confederacy,
In 1951, 22 books were donated to the Confederate Library at the
University of Houston and 33 were donated to the Southern Book Room
in the Anderson Library.
In 1961, the chapter boasted a membership of 13 Real Daughters. Five
dozen Confederate battle flags were purchased to mark the graves of
Confederate Veterans in three area cemeteries on Confederate
Veterans Day. Nine genealogies of Confederate ancestors were sent to
the General Chairman of Records and Research. The chapter also
initiated its scholarship award program in local schools.
In 1969, one member compiled and published Historical Records of
Austin and Waller Counties.
In 1970, the chapter contributed toward the erection of the brick
entrance to the Confederate Cemetery in Alvin.
In 1977, six Military Crosses of Honor were bestowed.
1980, Jefferson Davis Medals were presented to our two Real
Daughters: Mrs. Grace Harby and Mrs. Jennie Hosford.
In 1981, The James K. Smith Chapter #755 Children of the Confederacy
was organized by Ruby Schedule and the chapter presented a Jefferson
Davis Medal to her for her work.
In 1990, on April 26, our two Real Daughters donated 10 live oaks
trees to be planted in the Confederate Cemetery in recognition of
Confederate Memorial Day. Also, in the spring of this year, a
request was made that the original number (33) be issued to the
chapter and on June 11, the charter was reissued under the number