Search billions of records on

Lipscomb County Historical Markers

Source: Lipscomb County

(Since many Ochiltree County and Lipscomb County families are related,
Ochiltree County Historical Markers also included in this list.)

12 Records:
1 Courthouse
10 Historical Markers
1 Museum

Booker - Booker
Follett - Follett
Follett United Methodist Church & Church Bell - Follett
Higgins - Higgins
Jones & Plummer Trail, Route of - Booker
Libscomb County - Higgins
Lipscomb County Courthouse - Lipscomb
Lipscomb County Courthouse - Lipscomb
Lipscomb, Texas - Lipscomb
Northeast Corner of Texas - Follett
Rogers, Will - Higgins
Wolf Creek Heritage Muuseum - Lipscomb


Marker Number: 451
Marker Title: Booker
Year Marker Erected: 1969
Marker Location: Juction of SH 23 & SH 16, Booker
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: Platted 1917 by Thomas C. Spearman, Santa Fe Railway official. Named for railroad locating engineer, B. F. Booker. Town of La Kemp, Oklahoma (6 miles north) moved here 1919. First train arrived July 4, 1919, official birthdate of Booker. Economy based on farming, cattle and (since 1956) oil and gas production. (1969)


Marker Number: 1935
Marker Title: Follett
Year Marker Erected: 1967
Marker Location: on E. Ivanhoe (SH 15), across from Methodist Church, Follett
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed: badly faded; repaint
Marker Text: A gateway to Texas Panhandle's "Golden Spread". Founded as "Ivanhoe", on a site across state line, in Oklahoma. Town moved twice to locate on a railroad. Situated here in 1917, and renamed for Horace Follett, railroad surveyor. Economy based on wheat, cattle, grain sorghums and (since 1950's) oil and gas production. (1967)

Follett United Methodist Church & Church Bell

Marker Number: 1936
Marker Title: Follett United Methodist Church and Church Bell
Year Marker Erected: 1977
Marker Location: E. Ivanhoe Street, Follett
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed: repair -if able to mask brick structure
Marker Text: The Rev. Grant. L. Hayes, first Methodist circuit rider in this area, founded the Ivanhoe, Oklahoma, church 3 miles to the north in 1902; the Stillwater Church, 6 miles east, in Texas in 1904. After Follett originated on the Santa Fe Railroad in 1917, the two congregations merged here. The Old Ivanhoe church bell, cast in Ohio in 1907, was relocated at the Follett building site in 1919, installed in first church tower in 1924, and brought as a link from the historic past to the modern church (built 1961) in 1976. (1977)


Marker Number: 2474
Marker Title: Higgins
Year Marker Erected: 1967
Marker Location: US 60 on west side of town in park, Higgins
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed: faded; repaint
Marker Text: Town platted, post office opened and first train arrived, 1887. Named for G. H. Higgins, wealthy railroad stockholder. Early cattle shipping point. Devastating tornado struck April 9, 1947. An estimated 45 were killed, 140 injured. Ranching, farming, and oil are chief area industries. Oil drilling was begun in 1957. (1967)

Jones & Plummer Trail, Route of

Marker Number: 4368
Marker Title: Route of Jones & Plummer Trail
Year Marker Erected: 1968
Marker Location: intersection of SH 15 and SH 23, Booker
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed: weathered; refinish
Marker Text: Established about 1874, when used by the freighting firm of Ed Jones and Joe Plummer to haul tons of buffalo hides from their general store in Lipscomb County to Dodge City, Kansas. Also, in its early days, this trail carried crucial supplies to Generals Nelson Miles and Philip Sheridan during their famous 1874 Indian campaign. Materials for building Fort Elliott, at Mobeetie, also came over the trail. The fort then became southern terminus for the route; Dodge City, northern. In its later years (until 1885), it became a cattle trail. (1968)

Lipscomb County

Marker Number: 3082
Marker Title: Lipscomb County
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Marker Location: on US 60, east of Higgins near state line
Marker Size: 36' Centennial - Highway Marker (pink)
Marker Text: Formed from Young and Bexar territories: Created, August 21, 1876 Organized June 6, 1887 Named in honor of Abner S. Lipscomb, 1789-1856. Secretary of State in President Lamar's cabinet member of the Constitutional Convention, 1845; associate justice of the First Supreme Court of Texas. Lipscomb, the county seat

Lipscomb County Courthouse

ID: 316
County: Lipscomb
City: Lipscomb
Current Use: Active Courthouse
Construction Date: 1916
Architect: William M. Rice
Contractor: William M. Rice
Style: Classical Revival

Lipscomb County Courthouse

Marker Number: 12483
Marker Title: Lipscomb County Courthouse
Year Marker Erected: 2000
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: Main Street
Marker Size: 27" x 42"
Marker Text: Established in 1886 and organized the following year with Lipscomb as county seat, Lipscomb County was named for Abner S. Lipscomb, an associate justice of the Texas Supreme Court in the 1840s-1850s. A one-story wood frame building served as the first county courthouse. During the first decade of the 20th century, the number of farms and ranches in the county more than doubled, and the population more than tripled that of the 1900 census. In 1915, county voters approved the issuance of bonds for a new, larger courthouse to serve the governmental functions of a growing county. The commissioners court selected William M. Rice of Amarillo as both architect and general contractor for the project. Edward S. Altmiller, who had been the contractor for the 1910 Lipscomb County jail, served as construction superintendent. Rice designed the courthouse in the Classical Revival style, with style-defining features such as the arched doorway and the triangular pediment supported by Doric order columns over the entrance. Design and construction took place primarily during 1916, with final details completed in early 1917. Despite its status as the smallest town in the county, largely the result of being bypassed by the railroad, Lipscomb retains its designation as county seat. The Lipscomb County courthouse, which dominates the town site, continues to function as the center of government and politics for county residents. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000

Lipscomb, Texas

Marker Number: 3092
Marker Title: Lipscomb, Texas
Year Marker Erected: 1968
Marker Location: Junction of SH 305 & Spur 188, Lipscomb
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: Established, 1886 by settlers hoping to benefit from proposed Santa Fe Railroad in Panhandle. Post office was opened in 1886; Lipscomb Town Company sold land for $3 and acre in 1887. In first month, seven business started. When county was organized in 1887, Lipscomb became seat, named for A. S. Lipscomb, secretary of state in Republic of Texas and justice of State Supreme Court. Hotel from undeveloped town of Dominion was moved here, 1887. First courthouse was built in 1887. The first school- in a church- had 25 pupils, 1888. A new courthouse was erected, 1916. (1968)

Northeast Corner of Texas

Marker Number: 3611
Marker Title: Northeast Corner of Texas
Year Marker Erected: 1970
Marker Location: from Follett take SH-15, 8 miles east to state line
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed: none - several bullet holes
Marker Text: Established by law in 1850 as intersection of 100-degree longitude and 36-degree, 30' latitude, this point remained in dispute 79 years. Of some nine surveys made to locate corner on ground, almost none coincided. Even so, three blocks were annexed to Texas from Oklahoma (1903, 1929) - to confusion of landowners. One man claimed he went to bed in Oklahoma and awoke in Texas. In 1929 U.S. Supreme Court had a final survey run. Some people with land formerly in Oklahoma could not afford to repurchase it in Texas, but exact site of corner was at last determined. (1970)

Rogers, Will

Marker Number: 5813
Marker Title: Will Rogers
Year Marker Erected: 1967
Marker Location: from Higgins take US-60, east to park, on east side of town
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed: weathered; refinish
Marker Text: One of America's best loved humorists, whose stage act, gently mocking man's foibles, was highlighted by rope tricks learned here in his youth. Born in Oklahoma. In 1898, threatened with discipline for pranks, he left school and came to Texas. He became a cowboy on the Little Robe Ranch near Higgins and made a lifelong friend of young Frank Ewing, son of his employer. In 1902 he joined a wild west show; was famous by 1918. Rogers died in a crash during a globe-circling pioneer flight with aviator Wiley Post, 1935. (1967)

Wolf Creek Heritage Museum

Form Number: 252
Museum Name: Wolf Creek Heritage Museum
Mailing Address: P O Box 69
City: Lipscomb
Zip code: 79056
Street Address: 4 Main Street
Area Code: 806
Phone: 862-4131
County: Lipscomb
Annual Attendance: 886
Number of Volunteers: 45
Approximate Number of Volunteer Hours Per Year: 2130
Director: Mildred Becker
Museum Classification: General, Non-Historic Structure, Museum Building Type: Historic Structure
Original Purpose: School
Types of Exhibits/Collections: Art, Military, Archeology, Photos, Historical, Local/Pioneer History, Archives
Educational Programs: Guided Tours, Self-guided tours, School Tours, Hands-on Activities for Children, Demonstrations
Fax Number: 862-2603

Ochiltree County Historical Markers

Source: Ochiltree County

14 records:
2 NR Listed Sites
1 Courthouses
10 Historical Markers
1 Museums

"Buried City" - Perryton
Blasingame Home, Old - Perryton
Buried City Site (41OC1) - Perryton
Museum of the Plains - Perryton
Ochiltree Cemetery - Perryton
Ochiltree County - Perryton
Ochiltree County Courthouse - Perryton
Ochiltree Townsite, Bordering this Highway - Perryton
Ochiltree, William B., Colonel - Perryton
Perry, George Morgan - Perryton
Plainview Hardware Company Building - Perryton
Sanitarium, First - Parryton
Talley, James Sidney - Perryton
Trading Post, Site of - Perryton

"Buried City"

Marker Number: 5980
Marker Title: The Buried City
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Marker Location: from Perryton take US 83, south about 10 miles; turn east onto Fryer Lake Road; marker located on private ranch on south side of road
Marker Text: In 1907, Dr. T. L. Everly, Floyde V. Studer and other archaeologists discovered here, "The Buried City." These Pueblo ruins were built by the Panhandle Pueblo Indians who were argriculturists, stone house builders, pottery and basket makers. Dr. Warren K. Moorehead partially excavated this ruin in 1919-1920. Some archaeologists and historians agree that the well-built stone houses were in ruins when Coronado explored this region in 1541. (1936)

Blasingame Home, Old

Marker Number: 3691
Marker Title: Old Blasingame Home
Year Marker Erected: 1967
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 1001 S. Cedar, Perryton
Marker Size: Medallion & Plate
Marker Text: Built about 1912 in Ochiltree. Designed by Mrs. John Blasingame; 19th century English, German influence. Constructed by Sam Whittaker; lumber and red brick hauled from Glazier. Luxurious home had attic, full basement. Heavy embossed picture moulding. Contained much intricate glass work - two leaded stained glass windows, of Bavarian design, on sides of living room mantels. Was moved to Perryton, 1961, by the Willard McLarty family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967

Buried City Site

Reference Number: 84001923
Resource Name: Buried City Site
Other Name: 410C1;Handley Ruin
Address: Address Restricted
Resource Type: SITE
Number of Contributing Sites: 1
Number of Contributing Structures: 7
Certification Date: 19840913
Significance Level: NATIONAL
Cultural Affiliation: Antelope Creek; Plains Woodland
County: Ochiltree
City: Perryton
Area Significance: PREHISTORIC
Historic Function: DOMESTIC; FUNERARY
Period: 1499-1000 AD
Acreage: 420

Museum of the Plains

Form Number: 328
Update: 1997-08-14
Date of Last Survey: 1995
Museum Name: Museum of the Plains
Mailing Address: 1200 N Main
City: Perryton
Zip code: 79070
Street Address: 1200 N Main
Area Code: 806
Phone: 435-6400
County: Ochiltree
Area Code: 806
Phone Number: 435-6400
Annual Attendance: 3700
Number of Volunteers: 13
Approximate Number of Volunteer Hours Per Year: 500
Number of Paid Staff: Full Time: 4
Museum Classification: History, Historic House, Non-Historic Structure, Museum Building Type:
Types of Exhibits/Collections: Archeology, Local/Pioneer History
Educational Programs: Guided Tours, School Tours
Fax Number: 435-5732

Ochiltree Cemetery

Marker Number: 12131
Marker Title: Ochiltree Cemetery
Year Marker Erected: 1997
Marker Location: SH 70, 9 mi. S of Perryton
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: In 1902, Jim McLarty and J. V. Stump fenced off 90 acres for a cemetery in the town of Ochiltree. Soon afterwards, Jim was thrown from his horse and killed, and at age 21 became the first person buried in the cemetery. In 1927 the county acquired the deed from Mr. J. M. Blasingame; in 1930 a cemetery association was formed. During the Depression of the 1930s an entry gate was built with help from the Works Progress Administration. Veterans of the Civil War and Spanish American wars, as well as World Wars I and II and the conflicts in Korea and Vietnam, are among the citizens buried here. (1997)

Ochiltree County

Marker Number: 3662
Marker Title: Ochiltree County
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Marker Location: from Perryton take US 83 about 2 miles, north
Marker Size: 36' Centennial - Highway Marker (pink)
Marker Text: Formed from Young & Bexar territories: created, August 21, 1876 organized, February 21, 1889. Named in honor of William Beck Ochiltree, 1811-1867, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of Texas, 1842, secretary of the Treasury, 1844, the last attorney general of the Republic of Texas, member of the Texas Legislature, 1855; delegate to the Secession Convention of 1861, colonel in the Confederate army. County Seat Ochiltree, 1889 Perryton, since 1920. (1936)

Ochiltree County Courthouse
ID: 381
County: Ochiltree
City: Perryton
Current Use: Active Courthouse
Construction Date: 1928
Architect: Corlett and Welchons; Hutchinson, Kansas
Style: Art Deco
Substantial Modifications: In 1974 an addition designed by Terrence Doane was completed by contractor Tom Badrow.

Ochiltree Townsite, Bordering this Highway

Marker Number: 3663
Marker Title: Ochiltree Townsite (Bordering this Highway)
Marker Erected: 1976
Marker Location: from Perryton take SH 70 about 8 miles, south
Marker Size: 27" x 42"
Repairs Completed: faded; refinish
Marker Text: This county was created in 1876 and named for noted Texas jurist William Beck Ochiltree (1811-1867). In 1876 it was attached for judicial purposes to Clay and later to Wheeler County. In 1886 pioneers began to settle in dugouts here on the prairies near Wolf Creek, saying they lived "in Ochiltree." For convenience in making land and tax transactions, and establishing law and order, they organized the county in 1889, making their village the county seat. First elected officials were William J. Todd, county judge; Dave C. Kettell, sheriff and tax collector; George M. Perry, county clerk; Myrtle L. Daily, treasurer. In 1891 a 2-story courthouse was built (100 yards southeast) of lumber freighted from Dodge City, Kansas. This also served as church, schoolhouse, and social hall for the town. By 1903, Ochiltree had 600 people, churches, a high school, a newspaper, bank, flour mill, and other facilities. In 1919, the Santa Fe Railway founded a new town between Ochiltree and Gray, Oklahoma, and induced people from both places to relocate by offering free lots. In 1919 steam engines and heavy equipment hauled the improvements from Ochiltree to the new site (8 miles north), called Perrytown, in honor of veteran county official George M. Perry. (1976)

Ochiltree, William B., Colonel

Marker Number: 967
Marker Title: Colonel William B. Ochiltree
Year Marker Erected: 1963
Marker Location: in front of Courthouse, Main Street, Perryton
Marker Size: Civil War Memorials - (pink granite)
Marker Text: Secretary treasury and last attorney general Republic of Texas. Secession Convention delegate 1861. Influential member Provisional Congress which drafted Confederate Constitution, mobilized manpower, set up financial structure, elected political leaders. Resigned to raise 18th Texas Infantry. Led troops to Arkansas in 1862 when regiment called in campaign to repel Union forces from state. A Memorial to Texans who Served the Confederacy Erected by the State of Texas 1963.

Perry, George Morgan

Marker Number: 3989
Marker Title: George Morgan Perry
Year Marker Erected: 1994
Marker Location: at east side of Perry Memorial Library, 22 SE 5th Avenue -Perryton
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Marker Text: A native of Iowa, George Morgan Perry (1862-1944) moved to the Texas Panhandle town of Ochiltree in 1886. Active in the formal organization of the county, he served as county clerk, district clerk, and county judge. A supporter of railroad building in the panhandle, he was honored by the Santa Fe Railroad when the town of Perrytown was established on the rail line and named for him in 1919. He served as first president of the Chamber of Commerce and continued to promote settlement and business development in the city until his death in 1944. (1994)

Sanitarium, First

Marker Number: 1861
Marker Title: First Sanitarium
Year Marker Erected: 1963
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 221 S. Baylor, Perryton
Marker Size: Medallion Only
Marker Text: --

Talley, James Sidney

Marker Number: 4673
Marker Title: Sheriff James Sidney Talley
Address: Ochiltree Cemetery
City: Perryton
County: Ochiltree
Year Marker Erected: 1967
Marker Location: Ochiltree Cemetery, in southwest section of old cemetery, Block 133, Lot 4 -Section A
Marker Size: Grave Marker
Repairs Completed: weathered; repair - family or cemetery foundation
Marker Text: Born near Washington-on-the-Brazos; moved 1901 to Ochiltree County. As sheriff, 1908-1944, he used free-wheeling methods and never carried a gun. It was said that generosities kept him poor. At retirement he held record for longer continuous service than any other Texas sheriff. An expert judge of livestock, also ranched throughout career. Did considerable welfare work in retirement years. A Mason, he married Mamie Richardson. Recorded, 1967.

Trading Post, Site of

Marker Number: 4907
Marker Title: Site of Trading Post
Address: US 83 S to Fryer Lake Road, then 2 mi more
City: Perryton
County: Ochiltree
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Marker Location: from Perryton, take US 83, about 10 miles south; turn east onto Fryer Lake Road and continue 1.6 miles to marker
Marker Size: 36' Centennial - Subject Marker (gray)
Repairs Completed:
Marker Text: Established by C. E. Jones in 1874 on the Jones & Plummer Trail which extended from Dodge City, Kansas, to Mobeetie. Here food and cloth were traded to Indians for hides and later ranchmen purchased general supplies hauled from Dodge City. (1936)


This page was last updated August 29, 2003.