TXGenWeb
Live Oak County   TXGenWeb Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~txliveoa
USGenWeb

The Historical Marker Information comes from the Texas Historical Commission  The historical marker search engine can be found at Texas Historic Site Atlas.  THC Copyright policies are posted here.


Marker Title: Early Schools in Live Oak County
Address: Houston Street, in front of High School
City: George West
County: Live Oak
Year Marker Erected: 1975
Designations: na
Marker Location: George West High School, Houston Street, West side of George West
Marker Text:

Until the 1870's, Live Oak county had private schools taught by clergymen and ranch employees in cabins, brush arbors, dugouts. County Judge G.W. Jones initiated (1876) community schools with tuition set at 71/2 cents a day per student. In time there were 43 of these small schools. Oakville in 1881 erected the county's first building for a free school and in 1899 had the first independent district. By 1917 George West and Three Rivers also had independent districts. Consolidations began in 1940, when the county had 9,799 people. By 1970, two consolidated schools served the entire county.





Copyright 2003 Mark Gregorczyk         USGenWeb's Policy on Copyright