TXGenWeb

Live Oak County
TXGenWeb Project

USGenWeb

 

 

 


MAHALA

MAHALA, TEXAS. Mahala was near the intersection of Farm roads 799 and 1203 six miles southeast of George West in east central Live Oak County. It was named for Mahala Edwards, who opened a store in the early 1900s with her husband, Charles Edwards, on their land on the old road between Oakville and Cadiz (now Farm Road 1203). In 1911 Mahala was granted a post office, and by 1914 a community school had been established. Mahala lost its post office in 1912, and a map drawn in the 1930s shows only the school and a few scattered dwellings in the vicinity. The community's school was annexed to the George West Independent School District in 1945; a 1964 map showed nothing standing on the site.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Ervin L. Sparkman, The People's History of Live Oak County (Mesquite, Texas, 1981). Edwin Herbert Stendebach, An Administrative Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Schools in Live Oak County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939).

John Leffler

Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "MAHALA, TX," http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/MM/hrmwv.html
 

 



Return to Home of Live Oak Co., TXGenWeb

Copyright 2009 to Present  -  The TXGenWeb Project
All rights reserved. 
All information/material on this website is provided for and may be used by individuals who are researching Refugio County history or the genealogy of Refugio County residents.  The information may be freely used by non-commercial entities, libraries or genealogical societies as long as this copyright notice appears on the copied material.  Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.  The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit or commercial use.