TXGenWeb

Live Oak County
TXGenWeb Project

USGenWeb

 

 


SIMMONS

SIMMONS, TEXAS (Live Oak County). Simmons, originally named Simmons City, was on the Nueces River five miles west of the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf line and ten miles from Oakville in central Live Oak County. It was named for Dr. Charles F. Simmons, the owner of the local Simmons Ranch, which had originally encompassed some 60,000 acres, including the land on which the town was built. Around February 1906 he divided his ranch into tracts for sale, including tracts for the establishment of a town; by October of that year all the land had been sold to buyers from Texas, Oklahoma, and twenty-nine other states. A post office opened in 1907, when the town had a population of seventy-five. A church and a school were built in 1908. In 1927 Simmons included a hotel, a grocery, and a drugstore, and in 1935 its school had 148 white students. A two-story brick schoolhouse was built in 1938, and that year the school had five teachers and 119 students. In 1941 the school closed, and students attended classes at Three Rivers. The population of Simmons had dropped to thirty-five by 1940, and by the end of the 1940s the town no longer reported any businesses. Its post office closed in 1945, and the mail was delivered through Three Rivers. In 1990 the church, which had a historical marker, still stood, and the Simmons cemetery was still in use.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Live Oak County Historical Commission, The History of the People of Live Oak County (George West, Texas, 1982). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982). Edwin Herbert Stendebach, An Administrative Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Schools in Live Oak County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939).

Hal Long

Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "SIMMONS, TX," http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/SS/hns49.html
 

 



Return to Home of Live Oak Co., TXGenWeb

Copyright 2009 to Present  -  The TXGenWeb Project
All rights reserved. 
All information/material on this website is provided for and may be used by individuals who are researching Refugio County history or the genealogy of Refugio County residents.  The information may be freely used by non-commercial entities, libraries or genealogical societies as long as this copyright notice appears on the copied material.  Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.  The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit or commercial use.