Search billions of records on


Live Oak County
TXGenWeb Project






SUNNILAND, TEXAS. Sunniland (Suniland) is on the Missouri Pacific Railroad near the Atascosa River and just west of U.S. Highway 281, eleven miles north of Three Rivers and twenty miles north of George West in north central Live Oak County. It was originally called Fant City, after Dillard R. Fant.qv In 1914 land that had been the Fant Ranch was sold at such outrageous prices that many lawsuits resulted. The name Sunniland came from the railroad depot. Sunniland had a post office from 1926 until 1945. In 1928 it had a school, a post office, a hotel, and railroad camphouses. Throughout the late 1920s and the 1930s it had twenty-five residents and two businesses. In 1940 Sunniland had three businesses and a population of sixty. The Fant City school was incorporated into the Three Rivers school district in 1949. In 1947 the town had a population of 100 and two businesses. By 1952 no businesses remained, but there were still 100 residents. By 1974 the population had decreased to seventy-five. In 1990 Sunniland still had seventy-five residents and a gravel pit.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Live Oak County Historical Commission, The History of the People of Live Oak County (George West, Texas, 1982).

Hal Long

Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "SUNNILAND, TX,"


Return to Home of Live Oak Co., TXGenWeb

Copyright 2009 to Present  -  The TXGenWeb Project
All rights reserved. 
All information/material on this website is provided for and may be used by individuals who are researching Refugio County history or the genealogy of Refugio County residents.  The information may be freely used by non-commercial entities, libraries or genealogical societies as long as this copyright notice appears on the copied material.  Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.  The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit or commercial use.