Search billions of records on

Allenhurst Community Information

Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church
Photo courtesy of Matagorda County Museum


By Mary B. Ingram

In 1905 Allenhurst was the first new townsite east of Bay City on the newly-completed St. Louis, Brownsville, and Mexico Railway (SLB&M).  The townsite was named after Allentown, Pennsylvania, the birthplace of Jeff N. Miller, vice-president and general manager of the Brownsville Railway.

The townsite never developed, other than being an early stop for the passenger trains traveling from Brownsville to Houston.  It is known presently as the Allenhurst settlement.  Allenhurst Road parallels the railway tracks of the Missouri-Pacific until it crosses the tracks and becomes the Hasima Road.

Typed by Faye Cunningham 

Allenhurst For Kids

Allenhurst Cemetery


Copyright 2005 - Present by Carol Sue Gibbs
All rights reserved

This page was created
Jun. 15, 2005
This page was updated
Dec. 23, 2010